Barrel Vault in So. Cal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Barrel Vault in So. Cal.

Interesting....anyone aware of any photos of an oven set up like that?

Can anyone think of any problems with airflow, chimney draw, etc that would result from such a set up?

I am builing it to cook with it, but it's in a rather visible area in my backyard and if it looks too screwy there will be problems with the wife.

The other issue is that I have the stand/ash drop set up for a center opening...although I could see offseting things a bit to give more room to one side. The oven width is 36 inches. Maybe slide things over a half or so...

Bill
    Last edited by WJW; 02-23-2012, 09:29 AM.

Comment

It is not visible from the exterior.

Comment

Ive never notice a problem cooking in my barrel with the door central?
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

How wide is yours, brickie? Isn't yours more of a square?

Comment

Its rectangle, around 1200 x 1000mmm, I think.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Yours is 36" wide, so it won't really matter, WJW and Brickie, mine is only 22" wide, so it is tight with a 16" pizza and a fire on the side.

Comment

Yeah...I like the concept but I'm pretty much committed to the oven centered on the stand. Today, after after reading your post, I played around with moving things around in the door and saw nothing I liked. I'm sure I could do it but if I moved things all the way over the ash drop would be way way off center...and if I just move it over a few inches...what's the point?

Anyway, like you say...with a 36 inch by 42 inch oven, I should have plenty of oom to cook a couple pizzas.

Bill

Comment

I always have the fire at the back and havent seen any problem with doing so, the pizzas still cook..

My Build.

Books.

Comment

"Barrel vaults look a lot easier to build compared with a pompeii, to my eyes, at least"

Having built both, I would say they are about equal in complexity. Different design issues of course, but neither one was easier or more difficult in terms of skill than the other.

Choose your design based solely on what you intend to use it for.
                    Last edited by Neil2; 02-24-2012, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone
                      Brickie, Barrel vaults look a lot easier to build compared with a pompeii, to my eyes, at least.
                      Obviously not optimised for pizza, but do you get yours hot enough for the dreaded 90 second special?
                      Actually, after months of learning to cook a very acceptable pizza on the stone under my grilller in about 3 minutes, I'm no longer sure it is necessary or desirable for a home cook to be going for the 90 second job.
                      Especially if the guests prefer a "fat aussie special" over a super thin light topping load Neapolitan.
                      Very little room for error in 90 seconds.
                      Regards,
                      Mick
                      Ive had the oven up to 800c.
                      So yes, I can do quick pizzas.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I wanted to see how far I could push it, I was using wattle and red ironbark.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Finally starting the first arch.

As you can see, I cut the rear wall so that it sits under the arch. Lots of extra work...I doubt I would do that if I had it to do over. If the rear wall is not cut into a perfect arch, any flaws are transmitted to the arches themselves. The only upside is that you don't need to use a form for the first arch as the wall is doing it instead.

Bill

Comment

NO.....
                            Stop.
                            The roof of the barrel needs to be half bonded to achieve maximum strength.
                            Laying all the roof as single arches is wrong, I know thats the popular way and the Alan Scott way, but its wrong.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I know Al...I loked at the pics of your build and strongly considered emulating the half bonds...but I decided that the level of difficulty occasioned by placing a form under the entire roof of the vault made it not worth the benefit. Having a complete form would mean that I couldn't clean up the joints on the underside of the vault until it was self-supporting and the forms were removed. Knowing how sloppy I am..and knowing that there was no way I could devote the time needed to lay the entire vault in one session...I decided to do what most others were doing and do it in successive arches. I agree with you that the half bonds are the proper way to do it...but sometimes you have to acknowledge your limitations.

I'm hopeful that it will hang together in spite of my decision.

Bill

Comment

It's not that complex. You just have to cut a few plywood arches and tack some lightweight ply over them with some wedges underneath so it can drop 1/2" or so. At least you have addressed the problem of the expanding arch not trying to push your end walls out.
                                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                                X