Offset door???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offset door???

In my build thread Tom suggested placing the door off to the side to allow easier access to the cooking floor and make things easier for placing a fire to the side. It actually seems to make some sense...although I've cooked a total of one pizza in a wood fired oven and that was years ago. Anyone have any thoughts about Tom's idea? Wondering about aiflow over the pizza, chimney draw, etc.

Bill

Re: Offset door???

Comment

Hey Tom...I see what you've done there...it looks like just a couple of inches though. Your suggestion in the other thread (if I read you correctly) is that I go as far over as arch construction will allow?

I'm just concerned how the thing will look in light of the fact that my ash drop, stand, etc are all set up for a centered oven. I could go over two or three inches as you did above, but I wonder how much practical benefit I gain. (I really do mean I wonder because I haven't cooked enough in one to know.) Do you feel that that two or three inches you gain above is a benefit in cooking?

Bill

Comment

The term offset refers to the door but is more accurately intended for the entryway. The wider the entryway walls are from the inner arch, the better the angle the cook has to work the oven. This angle is further enhanced the more the entryway itself is flared and makes moving the door in and out easier.

Builders who neglect to incorporate an offset entryway do not have anything to rest their door against.

Comment

That is, in builders terms, a reveal, not an offset.

Reveal (carpentry) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is very much a benefit, and like I say, next time it will be flush on one side. No noticeable effects on air flow or draw other than it fires easily and draws well.

Comment

Any smoke come out the front Tom? Your photos (maybe older) reveal no such stains...

Comment

None, even when the wind is strong.

Comment

Make one side flush with the inside wall of one of the oven, As Tom suggests. You cook straight in with the coals on one side. Keep your reveal to snug your door against. It also is a straight shot to clean ash and coals out.

My design is close to Toms and it works great. Only a little puff of smoke hear and there out the front.

Derk

Comment

How about leaving it in the centre as planned and have a (twin cam) fire on each side.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Yeah, we sometimes rake coals down both sides if doing a roast.
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thanks for the info Tom...In light of the fact that you do feel it benefits you in cooking, I am seriously considering offsetting the entry a bit, but I think it would look too odd if I went all the way over due to the way I have my stand set up (ash drop and indentation in the front of the stand).

Offsetting it a bit will actually work out well because when I originally laid out the stand I did not allow for suffuicient wall thickness on each side (to use the insulating board, the concrete block, etc.) I didn't want to decrease the oven width to comensate. As a result everything was pushed to the right since there was room in that direction. That left my ash drop about three inches offcenter (too far to left). If I move my oven entry three or four inches left, that will result in the ash drop being back on center with the entry.

Bill

Comment

I could see where an offset could be designed to allow for a swinging door. I'd be delighted to have a built in door rather than have to remove it and store it.

Just my 2 cents..

Chris

Comment

Working...
                        X