Completed Cast Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Completed Cast Oven

Good Information. I picked up some of the ceramic insulation today from a local supplier this morning on my way home from work. The gave me their ends for nothing. The legnths were 15, 6, 4 and 4 foot. The stuff they gave me was 2 inches thick instead of the 1 inch (they did not have any scrapes of it laying around).

Can I use the 2 inch thick insualtion or do I need to peel it apart and make it 1 inch?

I was surprised how heavy the ceramic insulation was over regular house insulation.

If the weather cooperates I plan on installing the insulation today and then cover it with the 4 inches of vermiculite and Portland, 10:1 ratio as suggested by David.

Comment

Can I use the 2 inch thick insualtion or do I need to peel it apart and make it 1 inch?
      2" is good, more is better. Don't know if the length you have is enough to cover your oven and entryway.

Comment

If you go thicker with the blanket then you can go thinner with the vermicrete.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

...but a thinner blanket is easier to drape over the dome (it conforms to the curve better).

Originally posted by TapRackFire View Post
          I can purchase some stuff locally called "woolaroc" and use it.
          Sounds like what we call "rock wool", fibers spun from molten basalt. I was going to try it, even bought a bundle from an industrial insulation supplier, but it was too stiff to bend over my dome (2-inch bats, high density). I sold it to another builder, who was doing a barrel vault build and could run the bats down the length of the oven. I think the low-density residential stuff (often sold as sound dampening and fire stop) could work, but there might be nasty smells as the binder burns off in the first couple of fires. I ended up using multiple layers of 1-inch ceramic blanket, and was very happy with the ease of application. If you've got 2" for free, I'm sure you can make it work.

Comment

Working...
          X