refractory cast wood fired oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• refractory cast wood fired oven

I have recently just cast my own refractory cast oven using 1400 refractory castable. By trade i am a mould maker/pattern maker so i made all the mould and different components myself. I would like advice on the next stage which would be the insulating heath and the supporting platform, the cooking floor will be fire bricks.
    what i am thinking is........
    i want to be able to cast the front arch and the supporting platform using just a normal portland mix which i have read is suitible. but for under the firebrick floor instead of a insulating hearth can i use just a insulating board?
    here are a few pictures of the mould construction and the cast of the oven.
    any replies would be very grateful.
    Last edited by vantheman; 07-30-2012, 08:58 AM. Reason: add pics

Re: refractory cast wood fired oven

Luke,

Since this is the Forno Bravo site and their primary business is selling precast ovens and kits, I believe it is bad form to troll for competitive advantage and advice on their site.

Just my two cents.

Chip
    Last edited by mrchipster; 07-30-2012, 06:10 AM.
    Chip

Comment

I don't see a problem here. vantheman has chosen to go down the castable route as many other members of the forum have. There are also members who have built cob and steel ovens.
      The problems arise when anyone starts peddling their wares on the site - selling competitive items to what FB offers.
      I can't really comment on the use of cast portland for the arch. Refractory insulation board is the prefered under hearth insulation - 2" minimum. 4" of vermiculite or perlite concrete is also suitable.
      You obviously have form building skills and your precast looks great, you may want to go to the FB store and download the free Pompeii oven plans. The plans may be for a brick oven but the general information on the support stand, slab, and insulation applies to all ovens.
      With any luck one of our precast members will chime in, DavidS comes to mind, I believe he has done several precast ovens.

RT

Comment

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
        I don't see a problem here. vantheman has chosen to go down the castable route as many other members of the forum have. There are also members who have built cob and steel ovens.
        The problems arise when anyone starts peddling their wares on the site - selling competitive items to what FB offers.
        I can't really comment on the use of cast portland for the arch. Refractory insulation board is the prefered under hearth insulation - 2" minimum. 4" of vermiculite or perlite concrete is also suitable.
        You obviously have form building skills and your precast looks great, you may want to go to the FB store and download the free Pompeii oven plans. The plans may be for a brick oven but the general information on the support stand, slab, and insulation applies to all ovens.
        With any luck one of our precast members will chime in, DavidS comes to mind, I believe he has done several precast ovens.

RT
        When the original posting appeared (now edited) there was a reference to going into business selling cast ovens from the mold created. That is what I took issue with.

The business reference was edited out sometime this morning.

Chip
        Chip

Comment

Sounds like the FB Police caught on and gave someone a choice - change it or lose it.
          I call them as I see them. I will be the 1st to call someone out if need be and offer zero support in the process. I wll also be the 1st to someone's defense if warranted. I wish I had seen the unedited version. You want to go into business and and profitize, pay your dues, put in your time, and learn from trial and error.
          This forum was solely created to grow awareness and assist virtually any clumsy DIYer with jumping on board the WFO train. The founder and host (a manufacturer and retailer all along) has done us all a great service. For anyone to come along and take what is offered in order to fast track their own profitable endeavor really scalds my balls (pardon the language). If you want to watch and learn, read all you like, it is free here. Just don't ask for help in becoming the competition.
          I wish I had seen the post pre-editing.

Good call Chip!

RT

Comment

RT and Gulf,

Thanks, and that is just what I was doing, Throwing up a red flag of sorts. I should have quoted the original post so as to preserve the text that I was having an issue with. Thanks for your support I believe the same, James and Forno Bravo Corporate have made a wonderful forum for us to learn and grow and I want to preserve the site for those of us who benefit from intentions of the forum.

If Vantheman would like to share some of his mold and casting techniques with the forum I am sure they would be heartily embraced; that is what we are here for not to glean information so as to go into competition with the host.

Chip
            Last edited by mrchipster; 07-31-2012, 05:43 PM.
            Chip

Comment

Nice mould making, Can you lift those casts? What is the interior diameter of the oven? Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X