questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions

Hello, new here with a few questions...First, let me say that this forum is a fountain of information and educated opinions...Bravo! I have reccently found ,for sale a clay oven that is 40"dia 1.5" thick,with a door 16.5" wide x15" tall..exterior height is 21.5"... It is all one peice, floor and all and priced reasonable. It comes with a clay chiminey. I understand that I need to put this on a insulated base. Now, if I want to add the brick opening with the chiminey, does that go on the insulated base as well? Do I just have the hearth on the insulation? Do the bricks go along side to support the door opening and chiminey? This has a floor casted in, so I would'nt be able to extend it out like a fire brick floor would have. Just trying to clarify a few things before I pull the trigger on this. I already have a 9x10 concrete base and 180 cement blocks for the support. I have allready learned that the dimensions of this are a little tall for pizza as its a bit to tall, but I would like to bake bread and cook meat in this.....and of course Pizza. So, 2" of base insulation over the concrete base, set the clay oven on top, cover entire thing with vemiculite/portland mix, cover that with insulating blanket and chicken wire, then stucco and /or bricks, or more vermiculite/portland ,then the finish coat? thanks
    " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Re: questions

Do you have a photo? Some of the all clay ovens have inefficient vent designs and limited ability to retain heat based on their geometry. The 1.5 wall thickness is a little thin to retain heat for bread baking, As you indicated the dome is a little high and you are a little high 75% on the door opening, 63% is ideal.

You would have no problem cooking pizza in this.

You could adjust the door height by adding a layer of fire brick brick to the floor
    This would optimize the dpoor height and give you more mass in the floor.

Chip
    Chip

Comment

How big would the opening have to be to get 63%? I intend to put the oven on 2" of the recomended insul. board and 4" of 5/1 portland ,vermiculite...and the 5/1 mix over all and then the blanket and chicken wire and then the outer covering..

Comment

The chiminey is separate at 6"x 24"...so, you are saying that when I make the opening arch that I make it a little more than 4" less than the original opening of 161/2"? Which would give me approx. a 12" tall x15" wide opening..Also, is there a formula for the exterior stucco mix? I am considering stucco for the exterior, but may use native rock or brick, depending on availability..thanks, I really would'nt know where to get this info if it was'nt for you folks..

Comment

Originally posted by thickstrings View Post
          The chiminey is separate at 6"x 24"...so, you are saying that when I make the opening arch that I make it a little more than 4" less than the original opening of 161/2"? Which would give me approx. a 12" tall x15" wide opening..Also, is there a formula for the exterior stucco mix? I am considering stucco for the exterior, but may use native rock or brick, depending on availability..thanks, I really would'nt know where to get this info if it was'nt for you folks..
          A photo would sure help out here....

Based on the numbers you provided a 12.625 door opening height would be almost perfect But anything around 12.5 - 13 would be ideal.

Arkansas does get it's share of rain. You may want to consider a house instead of igloo shape for the exterior.

Water is not your friend.....When it comes to these ovens.

Stucco is available in bag form from any home supply store, lowes, home depot etc.

Chip
          Chip

Comment

I sure would love to show a photo, but alas, I am dumb........is there a tutorial ? I plan on a complete roof for the wfo along with a seperate fire place. Its pretty hot here most of the summer and I'll need shade as well as rain protection......I was originally thinking of a cob oven, but thinking about rapid changes in temp and humidity and the nature of unfired clay changed my mind.
            Last edited by thickstrings; 08-08-2012, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Dome and Floor - $(KGrHqZHJCwE7BcvjG6WBO5OCvin!w~~60_57 For some reason it is in dome and floor in the photo gallery.........

Comment

I sure would love to show a photo, but alas, I am dumb........is there a tutorial ? I plan on a complete roof for the wfo along with a seperate fire place. Its pretty hot here most of the summer and I'll need shade as well as rain protection......I was originally thinking of a cob oven, but thinking about rapid changes in temp and humidity and the nature of unfired clay changed my mind.
                When drafting your messages there is a button at the bottom of the message window labeled go advanced, click the button and then there will be a toolbar that appears one of the icons at the top of the window looks like a paper clip. You will be able to browse your computer to upload up to 4 photos as attachments to your text.

Chip
                Chip

Comment

When I do what you said, a box comes up and says insert URL....no browse...any way the pic is in the picture gallery under domes and floors.

Comment

When I do what you said, a box comes up and says insert URL....no browse...any way the pic is in the picture gallery under domes and floors.
                    When you click on the paper clip it should open a window called manage attachments I think you are clicking on something else.

Do you have a photo of the flue arch and flue attached?

Chip
                    Last edited by mrchipster; 08-08-2012, 10:11 AM.
                    Chip

Comment

There is no flu arch... you have to make one. All you get is the oven and a 6"x24" clay chiminey....stack bricks on either side of the opening to the height that you would like and afix the chiminey. I am wondering about the "hallway" between the oven floor and the front opening, insulate the bottom like the rest? what to face that area with?

Comment

There is no flu arch... you have to make one. All you get is the oven and a 6"x24" clay chiminey....stack bricks on either side of the opening to the height that you would like and afix the chiminey. I am wondering about the "hallway" between the oven floor and the front opening, insulate the bottom like the rest? what to face that area with?
                        Because that area under the floor gets heat transferred to it it also needs to pe insulated or it will wick heat out of the oven into the slab.

Chip
                        Chip

Comment

Working...
                        X