Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chickade oven progress

Hello friends.

Here are some pictures of our progress to date. We are beginners and did the best we could with the information available given the time limits imposed by cold weather in January on the East coast.

The oven dimensions are 40 length by 30 width inside and there are 60 inches from the back of the oven to the ash drop.

We built a steel reinforced concrete block wall on each side of the barrel walls to address the arch expansion problem. There is 3 inch cal-sil board between the oven and the blocks, plus a layer of blanket as in WJW's design.

Between the back of the oven and the block walls are 3 layers of blanket, and the back block wall is tied in the the side walls.

We built a partial heat stop between the top arch of the oven and the chimney with bricks we made of cal-sil board.

I could use suggestions for insulating the front of the barrel- I was planning to layer on more blanket.

The vermiculite/perlite mixture goes over lath, as I understand it, as chicken wire rusts, correct?

I have thermocouple wire that I wanted to embed in the hearth, but one thing led to another and it didn't get done. Could I drill a hole under the hearth with a long drill bit, and perhaps embed another under the blanket at the top? That way I would have some way to measure heat saturation.

It seems I will need longer tools that those that are readily available. Any suggestions for addressing that problem?

Thanks so much for all your expert help.

Sarah

Re: Chickade oven progress

No need to measure heat saturation, once you use the oven you will learn when it is ready. As much as I hate to see AS ovens, it looks like you did find enough information to prevent the worst affronts, and it looks like you are ready to bake. Nice job, burn some wood!~

Comment

It seems I will need longer tools that those that are readily available. Any suggestions for addressing that problem?
      Some have added longer hardwood handles to off the shelf peels, and others have fabbed them from scratch. I will probably be doing a little of both. One thing that I have found handy, so far, is the use of a roller for those heavier jobs. It is mounted on a tripod, can easily be set in place, and quickly set back out of the way when not needed. I think of the roller is sort of an "ergonomic" work around for deeper ovens. It is much easier to push down a little on the back of the handle to balance the load than tying to hold up a weight 4 to 5 feet out in front. It has worked great during the curing process while I was adding charcoal.

I now have a temporary rig on that same handle in the pic which I am using to easily place some pretty large pieces of wood into the oven. My intentions are to fashion some tools for heavy pots etc. to be used with the roller.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf- Thanks for the tip about the roller- what an excellent idea- particularly since I have tendonitis in my shoulders. Where did you get that roller?
        Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by chickade View Post
          Gulf- Thanks for the tip about the roller- what an excellent idea- particularly since I have tendonitis in my shoulders. Where did you get that roller?
          Sarah
          Sarah,

I know your question was directed at Gulf but you can buy a pretty inexpensive one at Harbor Freight.
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks Tscarborough. I'm a big fan of Harbor Freight having bought my 10 inch brick/tile saw there, without which we could not have built the oven. Sarah

Comment

Les is right on, Harbor freight is where I got mine .
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
              X