Oven door questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven door questions

We finished the perlcrete layer thanks to all your help- I'm using a space heater for the next month at night just in case.

I'm experimenting with the materials I have left over to make a door, and wanted your input, if possible.

I have a piece of 2 1/2 inch thick foamglass covered with hardware cloth, with reinforcing sheet metal on both aides, and wooden handles held together with carriage bolts- please don't laugh at my amateur attempt at door design.

I made a wooden form and am planning on casting the door using a mixture of perlite and refractory cement (4 to 1) to surround the foamglass/hardware cloth, then sealing the casting with a thin layer of the refractory.

Does this seem like a crazy idea? At least I will get experience with casting which interests me.

Thanks in advance.

Sarah

Re: Oven door questions

i've been down this road too, I think you will find 4:1 too weak. If it were mine I'd use 3:1 or 2:1 What you gain in insulation value you lose in strength. Perlite can be fired up to 1100 C by the way. You can increase the strength by firing the panel, but you probably need to go to 1000 C. Ask your local potter.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Chickade,

That will double as a great fish grill.

Comment

Have you thought about using metal plate over the mesh? Masonry materials don't seem like a great coating for something you need to slide in and out of an oven. Too brittle.
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
        X