Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels

Gulf, thank you for those suggestions. It make sense to spread the load. To be honest, I'd rather build a permanent oven, but I cannot at my current location, and that is the only reason I want a portable oven. It gets me around easement restrictions or having to build the oven into the house itself.

I'll start my own thread when I'm ready to build. Meanwhile, I don't want to hijack okn's excellent and intriguing thread, which I hope to learn a lot from.

Comment

Well I got some caulking put around the inner arch (only arch for me), started building the pitch for the roof line, and finally got the smoke stack built and painted. I still need to build some type on cap for the smoke stack. Did another curing fire.

Comment

So today (Saturday) was pizza party day! I got the smoke stack welded on, bought a new propane flame throwing torch at harbor freight and let the good times roll! Got the fire going about 4:00 and started pizzas at about 5:30. Only used 1 of the grocery store 6 packs of wood for the whole night. Worked out well. My buddy was timing the pizzas from launch to recover and we were hitting the 80-90 seconds mark for the majority of pizzas. Made a total of 16 using King Arthur AP flour. Would have like to tried Caputo, but that darn Chefs Warehouse wouldn't answer their phone on Friday.

Comment

Finished the night with strawberry and raspberry dessert pizzas. Crazy DELICIOUS!

Next on the agenda is weld the roof line on, weld some supporting member to the roof line, enclose everything with cement board, finish it off in tile, and then build a bottom shelf. Although my build has been fairly quick thus far, it's slower going than I would have hoped. That's just life... so let's make more pizza!

Kevin

Comment

Got up, fed the kids, and just took a look inside the oven. 515 F! I put the door on at ~7:30 last night.

Comment

Awesome. Slowly coming along
              Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Lunch time. We put the residual heat to use. My Wife made a curry dish, and I made some pita bread. I forgot to mention the pizza turner I made yesterday. It has a 7.5" diameter blade, and a 5/8" square tube handle.

Comment

Great pics Okn,
                  One of your pics reminds me of my Grandedaughter. She loves to help kneading the bread . Can I ask where did you get your oven thermometer?
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf, Bought the oven thermometer on Amazon.com

Amazon.com: CDN High Heat Oven Thermometer: Kitchen & Dining

$7 delivered to my door My oldest in the picture is 5. She is a blessing and loves to help... that's why I haven't got much done lately, LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by okn View Post
                      Gulf, Bought the oven thermometer on Amazon.com

Amazon.com: CDN High Heat Oven Thermometer: Kitchen & Dining

$7 delivered to my door My oldest in the picture is 5. She is a blessing and loves to help... that's why I haven't got much done lately, LOL.
                      Thanks for the tip on the thermometer. My grandedaughter is 5. Sounds to me like you have your prorities in the right order . The oven will wait.
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Looks like you're coming along great.

Bill
                        Last edited by WJW; 03-18-2013, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Yesterday I welded the roof frame on. Today I started putting the cement board on. I used self tapping screws to secure the Hardie Board to the frame. Those screws are fairly impressive, I wasn't sure if they would make it through 1/4" steel, but they did. I got up three walls before it got too dark.

Comment

Very nice. Its coming along nicely.
                            Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

This may be a record for the fastest and most efficient amateur builds. I have to admit I was skeptical as to the strength of the thin walls...but all that steel has me believing.

Bill

Comment

V-Wiz and Bill,

Thanks for the encouragement.

I have a design question for anybody reading. Do you think that a windscreen around the inside entry arch [only arch on my build] is necessary? I was considering a 4? or 8? wind screen. Those dimensions happen to be the size of metal I have on hand. I thought the 4? would give me a little more maneuverability inside the oven and still provide a little wind protection. The 8? on the other hand would provide more wind protection, but then again the oven is on wheels and I can easily turn the entire oven to get it out of the wind. The last option is to put nothing and just add it later if I need it. I?m leaning toward the 4?; any other thoughts out there?

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                                X