Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thin walled Barrel Vault on wheels

As far as wind screen...I would think some wind screen would be of benefit. I think I'd go with the four inch too. You want to make sure you can get a tool in all areas.

Are you going to fill the roof void with perlite?

Bill

Comment

Bill, Not too big of a void left on top, but I will be filling it with all the perlite my very generous and gracious friend gave me

Comment

Do you feel the need for a wind screen? has it bugged you not having one ? If not i would say don't do it, or test it out some more then see how it performs.
        Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

I got all the Cement (Hardi) Board screwed on. That was a bigger job than I thought. I know I said before that those self tapping screws would go through 1/4" steel, but I guess I should have said they can make it through, however, not reliably. I ended up buying a new drill, because it was working my cordless drill so hard. New drill didn't really solve my problems either. I even tried drilling pilot hole with some HF drill bits. THEY ARE USELESS. Did I say USELESS? Probably worse the useless, because of all the wasted time in dealing with them. Only sheer determination and a whole pack of screws seemed to work.

Before I finished installing the cement board, I welded the landing on. That went on well.

Anyway, enough complaining here are the pictures.

Comment

Saturday and Saturday evening I busted out the thin-set and tiles. I put big tiles on the roof and mosaic tiles on the walls. I wish everything was straight (not even close), it would have defiantly made my job easier. I'm no tile pro, as a matter of fact this is the first tile I have ever put down in my life. Those guys on YouTube sure make it look easy. Even with the myriad of mistakes I think it looks great! I love the colors! I was going to grout today, but then I see that I have to do something with the space under the landing. I guess more cement board and tile. So instead of doing that stuff, I think I will take a break and maybe fire her up tonight.

Comment

They do work, you just need the right ones which I have never seen at a retail level. The ones you need are called steel cuts. The self drilling section at the tip is longer and allows them to work on much thicker material.

As for the windscreen I wouldn't bother, I know I'm a bit late with the reply. My oven has a similar vent with what equates to a 6" windscreen. With a good gust it doesn't do anything to stop the wind from effecting the smoke.

Comment

Anybody have experience with grouting? I bought this non-sanded grout and was going to use it both on the mosaic tiles and the big ones on the roof, but the box says 1/8" spacing or less. The roof tiles are spaced at 1/4". Can I just add a bit of sand to the grout I have or am I better off just buying a bunch of grout that I won't be using? If I can add sand, what is the ratio. Many thanks.

As far as adding the wind screen, I am going to punt for now. It's an easy add down the road if it become an issue.

Kevin
                Last edited by okn; 03-24-2013, 07:23 PM.

Comment

If you are going to use a non-sanded grout for joints larger than 1/8", you will need to add aggregate. A #4 sand or masonry sand will work fine, add it at around 2 to 1 to the mix.

If you have not already bought the grout, then you can make your own for about 1/4 the cost if it isn't colored.

Comment

Thanks Tom, just to be clear that is 2 parts sand to one part non-sand grout mixer, Right?

Comment

I've been moving the oven all around my patio area, and so good so far. Haven't seen any new cracks, but then again I wear glasses and can?t see all that great anyway. She?s a beast though, not easy to push with just one person (I?m a lightweight so maybe that?s the problem). That?s not a bad thing as I won?t be rolling it around all the time anyway.

I finished tiling under the shelf last night and will begin grouting tomorrow.

Looking for some verification of the sand to non-sanded grout mixture if anybody knows.

Kevin

Comment

I ordered some caputo flour. Take a look at how it came. LOL ... wasn't my day.

Comment

I got half the grout on Yesterday (with the help of my assistant- see pic) and fired her up last night. Used the salvaged caputo flour to make 4 pizzas, but the oven wasn't hot enough when I started. Just seemed like it was taking along time to heat up. I started the fire at 4:PM and was hoping the dome would be cleared by 6:00, but it wasn't and we were hungry, so in they went. They still came out good, but not GREAT. Before I went to bed last night I welded the bars on the lower frame of the oven and stacked the wood on it. The oven is holding the heat well. She was around 650 F this morning. Cooked eggs at breakfast, roasted kohlrabi next, made a couple of batches of kale chips, then baked some bread! Still at 500 F!

Comment

Last week I finally got the oven finished. All the grouting is done, which I thought was fairly easy (first time doing it). Moreover, I put the oven in, what I hope is, its final resting place for many years. There was a lot of trial and error and Egyptian Levering to get it on the pavers as shown in the pictures. This has been a great project that I'm glad is over so I can enjoy cooking. We had two pizza parties last week. I have to say, having a pizza oven is a serious entertainment tool. Last pictures are of a scrumptious raspberry dessert pizza, which was the last pizza at the last party.
                            Last edited by okn; 04-09-2013, 07:44 PM.

Comment

I've really enjoyed following your build. Your oven looks great, and so does that raspberry pizza!

Comment

Looking great, outstanding build of the oven and raspberry pizza! Now you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor!!

:-)

Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X