• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hybrid Oven: Brick Walls with Cob Dome

Originally posted by dimitrisbizakis View Post
    It's pretty low ceiling right?
    What are you going to bake?
    In my point of view i dont see enough angle on the dome, it's like a flat ceiling.
    I'me afraid for you roof that may drop on the first fire because you did't gave enough height with a bigger radius.
    Hope this hold up but as i said before...its a mud oven!
    the dimension are 27 wide, 30 long, and 18 high approximately. I kinda based it on Kiko Denzers dimensions but not exactly. I'm worried too but worse case scenario is i get some experience for the next build.

I would like to make pizzas and roasts and hopefully a wood fired turkey for thanksgiving.

Comment

Originally posted by dimitrisbizakis View Post
      It's pretty low ceiling right?
      What are you going to bake?
      In my point of view i dont see enough angle on the dome, it's like a flat ceiling.
      I'me afraid for you roof that may drop on the first fire because you did't gave enough height with a bigger radius.
      Hope this hold up but as i said before...its a mud oven!
      Do you have any pics of the hybrid type oven you built?

Comment

Originally posted by mfugee1234 View Post
        How do you do that?
        Another stack of bricks on the outside of the side of the entrance would help or a heavy duty metal angle that goes to the top of the verticals on the outside would be good also.

Chip
        Last edited by mrchipster; 05-05-2013, 06:44 PM.
        Chip

Comment

Read this website.

I am a huge fan of earth-auroville.com as you guys would have figured out by now.....
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
            Read this website.

I am a huge fan of earth-auroville.com as you guys would have figured out by now.....
            Al,

That is a great reference document for arches.

Chip
            Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
              Al,

That is a great reference document for arches.

Chip
              Thanks guys for all the great suggestions. I will add more pics with the reinforced arches soon.

Comment

I finally put the insolation layer on which consisted of pure clay, water, and pine shavings and lit a fire for about an hour. So far so good. Its late/dark so i will check in the morning to view the possible cracks. hoping for the best.

Comment

I disappear for a bit and then this comes along. It looks like you're fully set now but I figured I'd post about what I did regardless. I had some firebrick, but I was afraid of getting into all the cutting, so I had done a cob oven using fireclay and pottery sand. The floor was brick, and the first half of the sides up from there was brick halved with a masonry chisel and bound together with lumps of the cob. The other half all the way to the top was purely cob. The oven has held up over two years in that way fine. All of my problems have had to do with the front. I didn't make a big enough entrance for the taller height of my dome, and so I had to extend it out after the fact. This extension has been very unstable. The cob crumbles from the roof of that extension regularly.

We just moved and there were a few other issues with the foundation and cosmetics of it, so I was planning to tear it apart and reuse the bricks when making a complete brick oven at my new place. I had no problems where brick and cob met, only were cob was pretty much spanning laterally, and where it was added later. As a side note, I had some builder's sand in the extension cob, and I think that cob has not held up as well as the kind using the fine, homogenous pottery sand.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocko Bonaparte View Post
                    I disappear for a bit and then this comes along. It looks like you're fully set now but I figured I'd post about what I did regardless. I had some firebrick, but I was afraid of getting into all the cutting, so I had done a cob oven using fireclay and pottery sand. The floor was brick, and the first half of the sides up from there was brick halved with a masonry chisel and bound together with lumps of the cob. The other half all the way to the top was purely cob. The oven has held up over two years in that way fine. All of my problems have had to do with the front. I didn't make a big enough entrance for the taller height of my dome, and so I had to extend it out after the fact. This extension has been very unstable. The cob crumbles from the roof of that extension regularly.

We just moved and there were a few other issues with the foundation and cosmetics of it, so I was planning to tear it apart and reuse the bricks when making a complete brick oven at my new place. I had no problems where brick and cob met, only were cob was pretty much spanning laterally, and where it was added later. As a side note, I had some builder's sand in the extension cob, and I think that cob has not held up as well as the kind using the fine, homogenous pottery sand.
                    Thanks for the input. I was scared cause many posters told me how this idea wouldn't work due to the different expansion rates of brick and cob, but so far so good. I haven't had any cracking at all after two successful cookouts. For my next house i would like to put an all brick oven in too, but really happy with the results thus far.

Comment

Working...
                    X