Will this design work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will this design work?

Well, I convinced the customer to go ahead with the White Oven Design that I posted here earlier. He wanted a bake oven without the "carcinogens" associated with the smoke from the fire. Whatever, it was fun to design and build. It is complete now and we fired it today and... it worked amazingly well!!

We hit 550 F in the bake oven easily and cooked three pizza's, two at one time in about 8-10 minutes and the third by itself.

No burnt bottoms, but we did put them on an aluminum pizza plate rather than directly on the brick. I think keeping the floor thick enough was the key. I poured my own firebox/oven divider out of castable refractory. It is about 4" overall in thickness

The entire oven is built of firebrick. The smoke and heat is directed around the bake oven in 2" wide brick lined flues then across the top of the oven and out the back.

We built the oven to look as if it was originally part of the stonework in the surrounding ruins.

Comment

Cool different and looks great. And cold too. How long does it start at temp without a fire or am I missing something.
      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

That looks good! Different to most ovens we have seen here and quite interesting. How long did it take to get it up to temp? What is the heat retention like?

It looks like it belongs in its setting.
        Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Well its different.
          I think ppl are getting too precious, the carcinogens from wood smoke? If you burn the correct wood its fine and when its hot enough for pizza there is no smoke.
          10 minute pizzas, were they boiled in their own juices or cooked through?
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by keystonemason View Post
            Well, I convinced the customer to go ahead with the White Oven Design that I posted here earlier. He wanted a bake oven without the "carcinogens" associated with the smoke from the fire. Whatever, it was fun to design and build. It is complete now and we fired it today and... it worked amazingly well!!

We hit 550 F in the bake oven easily and cooked three pizza's, two at one time in about 8-10 minutes and the third by itself.

No burnt bottoms, but we did put them on an aluminum pizza plate rather than directly on the brick. I think keeping the floor thick enough was the key. I poured my own firebox/oven divider out of castable refractory. It is about 4" overall in thickness

The entire oven is built of firebrick. The smoke and heat is directed around the bake oven in 2" wide brick lined flues then across the top of the oven and out the back.

We built the oven to look as if it was originally part of the stonework in the surrounding ruins.
            It's a very clean look too. Glad you succeeded with the build.
            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
            John Ruskin

Comment

Thanks for the comments..
              It did take over 3 hours to get to temperature, it is a solid mass of masonry and the outside air temp was -1 the night before. We were burning a combination of hard and soft wood cut small.

Once the oven hit 500F we stopped adding wood to the fire but with the coals the heat kept rising for another 30 min and got over 550F. Four hours later the oven temp was still over 400F but we left for the night. I imagine it would hold heat overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by keystonemason View Post
                Thanks for the comments..
                It did take over 3 hours to get to temperature, it is a solid mass of masonry and the outside air temp was -1 the night before. We were burning a combination of hard and soft wood cut small.

Once the oven hit 500F we stopped adding wood to the fire but with the coals the heat kept rising for another 30 min and got over 550F. Four hours later the oven temp was still over 400F but we left for the night. I imagine it would hold heat overnight.
                As long as it's closed, yes, it will retain heat very well. Congrats on the build - any chance we can see pics?
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                X