First time 41" clay/homebrew oven.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First time 41" clay/homebrew oven.

Thanks guys. I did end up tipping the beads out. I saw some steam coming out of the insulation layer so moved them to another spot.

The pile of beads was too small though. I think I was being to "cheap" and didn't want to use of the $10 bag of beads in one go.

I put the door on the oven but the areas away from the beads only got a few degrees above ambient.

I don't so few beads did a lot. However the little bit of steam coming out the back suggest that it moved some water, I guess.

Comment

I went against the grain and built a fire that has kindling criss crossed over a couple of larger logs (the against the grain bit is that I have always been a teepee guy, very fine tinder into kindling, into twigs, sticks, branches, etc - all manual) with a firelighter underneath.

I've got to admit I think my fire lighting techniques have changed from this experiment. It was a little too easy to do this way - although I have only tried it twice. But every other small fire I tried t get going in this oven didn't work.

I also took some picture and some temperature measurements. I post them here for no other reason then someone yelling, "crikey, that's not right!"

The first photos show the finished oven'
      The next 2 show the little fire /small temps' and
      the last 2 show damage to the undercover area. Whoops.
      Last edited by sandybits; 07-27-2013, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Here re the temps. I hope they make sense.

Comment

Those last two pics of the effects of the heat from the flue made me laugh.....
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
            Those last two pics of the effects of the heat from the flue made me laugh.....
            Me too. I expected it but thought I'd give it a run and see what happened. Now I know.

Comment

Originally posted by sandybits View Post
              Me too. I expected it but thought I'd give it a run and see what happened. Now I know.
              At least you know where to cut now....
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                At least you know where to cut now....
                I might not have to cut. I'll just fire the oven up really hot and burn straight through

Comment

Working...
                X