External Firebox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External Firebox

Does anyone tryied to make an external WFO Firebox?
    I know it's not for high heat pizza making but i think it will help at cooking and bread making.

Here's the whole idea designed to Sketchup,
    Firebox rushes high heat and clean fire in to the dome,the dome now is used like a combustion chamber, as tha gasses cools down lowers to the bottom of the dome they go out from the opening below and out from the chimney.
    You can see the door for checking and loading the food's.

Do you thing worth the try?
    Last edited by dimitrisbizakis; 08-25-2013, 04:21 AM. Reason: Pics

Re: External Firebox

Looks like a cross between a rocket stove and this
    Grover Chimney Oven Oven (part 1) - YouTube

Comment

Kind of but the firebox can take logs in it, not sticks of wood and the rocket stove oven you showed on the video does not have a chamber to keep hot gas.

Comment

The losses will be great and make the project fuel hungry.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Here is a design for a small raku kiln made from uninsulated cob which fired successfully to around 1050 C.(double the temp you need). I can't see why you would have any trouble achieving pizza temperatures with a similar set up. Because it is a downdraft system the flue had to be enlarged to 8". If you use a cross draft system a 6" flue should be plenty.There are plenty of ways such a system can be made efficient.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by david s; 08-26-2013, 03:42 AM.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
            The losses will be great and make the project fuel hungry.
            Losses from where?
            The whole exterior part will be double layer with insulation.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
              Here is a design for a small raku kiln made from uninsulated cob which fired successfully to around 1050 C.(double the temp you need). I can't see why you would have any trouble achieving pizza temperatures with a similar set up. Because it is a downdraft system the flue had to be enlarged to 8". If you use a cross draft system a 6" flue should be plenty.There are plenty of ways such a system can be made efficient.
              hi David, that's the actual way that Russian stoves work, your plan has one bell(chamber) and a firebox.
              I have seem commercial baking oven that uses that way of lightning and i can't see why we can use this for a fuel efficient way of making our home ovens.
              Except from the floor of course, the floor need to be different.
              david, do you thing that with that way we could use the WFO as a kiln to?

Comment

Originally posted by dimitrisbizakis View Post
                Does anyone tryied to make an external WFO Firebox?
                I know it's not for high heat pizza making but i think it will help at cooking and bread making.

Here's the whole idea designed to Sketchup,
                Firebox rushes high heat and clean fire in to the dome,the dome now is used like a combustion chamber, as tha gasses cools down lowers to the bottom of the dome they go out from the opening below and out from the chimney.
                You can see the door for checking and loading the food's.

Do you thing worth the try?
                Losses from where?
                The whole exterior part will be double layer with insulation.
                And you stated insulation where, I must of missed it?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

hi David, that's the actual way that Russian stoves work, your plan has one bell(chamber) and a firebox.
                  I have seem commercial baking oven that uses that way of lightning and i can't see why we can use this for a fuel efficient way of making our home ovens.
                  Except from the floor of course, the floor need to be different.
                  david, do you thing that with that way we could use the WFO as a kiln to?
                  Dimi,
                  I think you would have to arrange it so the flame path came up the sides and the back rather than having holes in the floor. Build one and see how it goes. When firing kilns they don't fire so well if empty. This would be the situation with an oven set up such as this.
                  Good luck,
                  Dave

PS I've tried a few different WFO designs and now only build hemispheres with a front flue, independent of the oven chamber as in traditional Italian ovens. 2000 years of Italian ingenuity and new builders still think they (me too) can build a better one.Ther. E must have been umpteen generations of Italians who have tried alternative designs and most still come back to tradition because it works really well.
                  Last edited by david s; 08-28-2013, 02:52 AM.

Comment

And you stated insulation where, I must of missed it?
                    You are right Brikie i didn't stated somewhere because insulation is a standard feature for any kind of rocket stove or any other masonry stove.

Comment

Dimi,
                      I think you would have to arrange it so the flame path came up the sides and the back rather than having holes in the floor.
                      If you see my sketch up mode, the firebox is connected to a WFO door that blasts the heat and gasses in the middle of the dome, i think that i'll point it to hit the center of the floor better.
                      Then the gasses that get colder than other drops down and out from under the door and up to the chimney of the arch.
                      I has the same principles as your raku kiln.
                      I just wanted to ask if someone tried this so i won't waste my time.

Comment

You are right Brikie i didn't stated somewhere because insulation is a standard feature for any kind of rocket stove or any other masonry stove.
                        Really?......

Then why do we get so many oven builders coming on this forum after a build to ask why their oven isnt getting hot and takes a mountain of firewood just to get warm?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Really?......
                          Then why do we get so many oven builders coming on this forum after a build to ask why their oven isn't getting hot and takes a mountain of firewood just to get warm?
                          Maybe because i was talking about insulation standards on rocket stoves and masonry stoves, not wood ovens.

Comment

If you see my sketch up mode, the firebox is connected to a WFO door that blasts the heat and gasses in the middle of the dome, i think that i'll point it to hit the center of the floor better.
                            Then the gasses that get colder than other drops down and out from under the door and up to the chimney of the arch.
                            I has the same principles as your raku kiln.
                            I just wanted to ask if someone tried this so i won't waste my time.
                            So what happens when you get the oven up to pizza temp and you want to open the door to place a pizza? I presume you would have to let the fire die or your pizza will get cremated. You need to keep an active fire going on the side and the door open so you can see the thing cooking. Not saying it won't work, but there could be problems. Or maybe you use it exclusively to cook other things rather than pizza.
                            Last edited by david s; 08-29-2013, 03:43 AM.

Comment

So what happens when you get the oven up to pizza temp and you want to open the door to place a pizza? I presume you would have to let the fire die or your pizza will get cremated. You need to keep an active fire going on the side and the door open so you can see the thing cooking. Not saying it won't work, but there could be problems. Or maybe you use it exclusively to cook other things rather than pizza.
                              Reducing the air from front of the door and/or closing partially a damper will help with loading.

Comment

Working...
                              X