Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modified 3G Masterly Tail Build

Hi Guys,
    This will be a build thread for my modified 3G masterly tail oven. (my 2nd oven build)

This is a vault oven design, which will incorporate more insulation and less thermal mass than the proposed design by Rado.

I have already built a Swishy oven back in 2008, and am very happy with it apart from the long heat up time, but really like the extended cooking period.

I was all in for building a dome oven for this build, but after using my brother in law's 42" dome oven - I was fairly underwhelmed with it's performance both for baking/roasting and pizza over the Swishy.

I know some people swear by the dome style, but I found that the floor performance (50mm tile over insulating bricks) lost heat far too quickly (it could not bake multiple pizzas in the one spot to my liking)
    and when it came to cooking a roast dinner, the heat loss from roasting temp dropped off far too sharply (for me), and it took way to long to finish. (YMMV)

I would also like to be able to make pizza at night, and bake bread or roast meat the next day without having to re-fire the oven.

anyways - I'm not looking to start a discussion/argument - just trying to explain my reasons why I have decided to go with this design, so as not (hopefully) to be bombarded with posts about "why not build a dome"

you probably disagree with my reasons or probably want to question my oven usage techniques - that's ok/cool - but lets hope for an 'each to their own' mind set.

so anyways... onwards to the build...

Here are some shots of the base slab going in. I will be putting up the stand over the weekend, so some shots of that to come next week.

Last edited by Mitchamus; 10-14-2013, 09:12 PM.
    -------------------------------------------
    My 2nd Build:
    Is here

Re: Modified 3G Masterly Tail Build

5th image in new post due to 4 image limit...

My 2nd Build:
    Is here

Comment

could a Mod please move this thread to 'Brick oven Photos'
      I have posted in the wrong spot...
      Last edited by Mitchamus; 10-14-2013, 05:29 PM.
      My 2nd Build:
      Is here

Comment

you're in the right spot. If you post in photos, you won't get many comments.

Curious, do you have any pictures of a finished oven of the type that you're building?
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

only from the plans, (which I won't re-produce here due to copyright) but here is one available online.

mine will not look like this though

My 2nd Build:
          Is here

Comment

Gudday
            I don't think anyone here is worried about it detail of size or detailed plan. But just how its configured wood be interesting. Is it a dome , a barrel , made if insulated. You are a member of the forum and the forno plans are free it you would like to compare
            Regards dave
            Measure twice
            Cut once
            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
            My Door
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks Dave, yeah I have looked extensively at the forno plans - most of my mod ideas have come from reading on this forum since 2008.

It's a barrel vault design, pic from Rado's site:

(deleted - people keep thinking this is what I've built *shrug*)

the hearth bricks will sit on edge on, giving a floor thickness of 115mm, on top of a full 4" of perlcrete insulation above the hearth slab.

The whole vault will be skinned with only 2" of cladding, Then the walls insulated with 4" of loose Perlite and the vault top covered in 2-3" of blanket insulation. (this will also allow me scope to add more cladding if I need it)

I'll also change the chimney design somewhat to make a smaller landing than the original design. The chimney will be thermally separated from the oven cladding by 4" of perlcrete and any blanket I have left over stuffed into any air gaps.
              Last edited by Mitchamus; 11-14-2013, 09:16 PM.
              My 2nd Build:
              Is here

Comment

Gudday
                Interesting to hear your comments on the 50 mm floor tile.
                I have firebrick set on 75 mm edges and find them to store a goodly amount of heat. Multiply pizza are not a worry and baking next day is never an issue as long as you close the oven of with an insulated door. I toyed with the idea of doing the brick at 115 mm edge but decided in my case it was overkill as I didn't see myself doing multiple bread bakes and such.
                I think you'll find that most members here have no problem with whatever configuration you us ... You'll only get some comments on lack of insulation or other thugs that make a WFO unusable
                Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

200mm of thermal mass in the floor? Really?
                  The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                    200mm of thermal mass in the floor? Really?
                    Not sure where you got 200 from- but it would be 115mm
                    (Btw swishy has 215mm and will easily hold 500deg C + all day long)
                    Last edited by Mitchamus; 10-15-2013, 01:32 AM.
                    My 2nd Build:
                    Is here

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchamus View Post
                      Not sure where you got 200 from-
                      Prolly from the brick on edge and the thick concrete underneath it.
                      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchamus View Post
                        the hearth bricks will sit on edge on, giving a floor thickness of 115mm, on top of a full 4" of perlcrete insulation above the hearth slab.
                        There is insulation under the floor bricks, so it could hardly be considered thermal mass.
                        Last edited by david s; 10-15-2013, 02:50 AM.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

ok so made a fair bit of progress on Saturday - Got the stand put up and filled with concrete.

The blocks were on the terrible side of 'pretty crap', and I was chasing plumb & level with every course.
                          One fell apart in my hand when I picked it up. I guess they are using the bear minimum amount of cement in them to maximise profits.
                          Some of them were different heights left to right, and the faces weren't straight on a lot of them.
                          From here on up, the sides will be finished with 1/2 width blocks - If I get these blocks from the same supplier, I will mortar them in from now on.

This stand be rendered/painted/skinned with stone (haven't decided yet) so it doesn't have to look amazing, just be structurally sound.

Last edited by Mitchamus; 10-20-2013, 05:52 PM.
                          My 2nd Build:
                          Is here

Comment

I made a dent it the Hearth slab formwork on Sunday morning too.

My 2nd Build:
                            Is here

Comment

I have managed to source some 2nd hand insulating fire bricks to make a thermal break between the oven vault and the chimney.

They are in pretty poor condition, but they will be in the back of the chimney, and I'll use the best ones in the spots that can be seen, or perhaps cut them to clean the faces up a bit.
                              Last edited by Mitchamus; 10-22-2013, 04:38 PM.
                              My 2nd Build:
                              Is here

Comment

Working...
                              X