Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A castable Barrel Oven with Refractory or Homebrew mix

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    I didn't see any TDS for VF-774, but I'm going to have to assume that it will only benefit the curing process. I am pretty sure that the polymer does not have refractory qualities and it will burn out of the casting during the dry out schedule ( not the cure of the material)

I would save the Vf for concrete counters or other castings that are not subjected to heat above 200*

Thank you...

PS...I went through your latest built...very impressive on the stone work.

Comment

i've never heard of the use of AR glass reinforcing fibres in conjunction with refractory. They are usually used in concrete as reinforcing. They may work with refractory, but will not burn out at low temp to give the refractory protection from explosive spalling.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Greetings All,
        I am in the planning stage of my home brew as well.
        My local Phoenix Brick Yard said I should not use Lime as it is only a bonding agent that may make the cement crack at temp.

They suggested I add a liquid Acrylic additive to my water prior to mixing with the dry elements?

Any thoughts?
        Larry Brown
        Nogales, AZ

Comment

G'day
          The Portland was added to give the original gripe in the hombrew mix. As it breaks down under temps higher than 300c the lime hardens up and takes over.
          Regards dave
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Acrylic may help with strength before you add any fire, but I should think it would burn at anything approaching 300 C so it's doubtful if its addition would be worth the trouble or expense.
            The Homebrew has proved to be very suitable for the range of temperatures we fire to, if you want to experiment with variations you may run into problems with an untested brew.

Comment

Originally posted by topbrown View Post
              Greetings All,
              I am in the planning stage of my home brew as well.
              My local Phoenix Brick Yard said I should not use Lime as it is only a bonding agent that may make the cement crack at temp.

They suggested I add a liquid Acrylic additive to my water prior to mixing with the dry elements?

Any thoughts?
              When all is said and done, acrylics are plastics. I don't see how they have any place in high temperature application.

Comment

Welcome Topbrown,

Listen to these elders of knowledge. I have been well taught by them. As for the brew...As basically said by an elder: Stick with the winning formula 3.1.1.1

Make sure to mix the Sand, Portland, Lime first. (use a mixer) then add the fireclay (Use a mask - A MUST). As the advice given to me by David: Get stainless steel needles to add to your mix.

Think hard on the usage of your oven and pick a form that fits your pallet.

There is much to learn on this site, so read, read, and read some more.

Comment

Thank You ALL for your wisdom. As for the needles, is it measured by weight or volume? and is FB the recommended supplier?
                  Larry Brown
                  Nogales, AZ

Comment

SS needle addition at least 2% by weight. Get them from any refractory supplier. The proper name is melt extract fibres.

Comment

Saovicente you might want to find a hydroponic supply store near you. I live in NYC and my local hydroponic store carries perlite at 20$ for a 4 cu/f bag.

Comment

Hi all, Have learnt a lot from this post so thank you

Apologies if this has been asked before but I have read through the whole post and could not see it. With the magic 3:1:1:1 mix how much water do I need to add?

Comment

Working...
                        X