• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saovicente
    replied
    Re: Mini Forno: The Homebrew mix experiment

Originally posted by david s View Post
    Maybe you should keep your small experimental oven so you can use it for this purpose.
    David,

As always I appreciate the input ( after all, you gave me the ideal of adding stainless steel needles ( To which I have purchased) to the mix.

As for using the experimental for mini pizza's and such: Unfortunately, I have given it to my beauty as a gift to compensate for Valentines day. It has been deemed "cute", so it will be finished with a chimney and destined for ???.

As for the dimensions of the barrel oven. It will be 36" x 48". My plan is to make it into 5 pieces (L/R Walls, Back and Front, Split arch in two)
    The hearth firebricks will be within the walls of the oven. The walls are to be 9.5", but I will add 2.5" to compensate for the thickness of the firebricks. The opening will be 20"W, 12"H, arch should be about 19"H.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Sandro

Leave a comment:

• Saovicente
    replied

Dave,
    I appreciate the reply. I have read many threads on the different ways of configuring a barrel oven to maximize it's efficiency and minimize the time spent firing it plus retaining the heat.
    Based on the various threads I have read ( so many good ones throughout the last few years (Barrel and Igloo)), I have taken a bit of this and that and will add of the learned knowledge from this great site and incorporate all into my build plus a thing or too from my knowledge base.

I will be starting a new thread in the next two weeks to chronicle my build and I am looking towards to some feedback as I progress forward.

I thank you,

Sandro

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

You haven't mentioned how big you intend making your oven, but the larger the chamber the more fuel will be consumed. For a small oven because you use such little fuel the reheating the following day is hardly an issue, for a large oven it is. This means that if you wanted to cook a couple of pizzas one night but had not planned on cooking anything the next day, you'd probably think twice about burning a large amount of fuel for those two pizzas. Maybe you should keep your small experimental oven so you can use it for this purpose.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day
    You could probably get that heating time down.
    Mines a 110 mm 4 1/2 in brick dome and its 1 1/2 hour to 2 hour to pizza heat.
    A thinner caste shell say 50 mm is about 3/4 to 1 hr to pizza heat.
    Yours should be roughly in the middle. ( so many other variables!)
    Remember though tunnel ovens usually have a lot more mass due to the mass of the buttressing. You are right though its easier to bring a warm oven up to temp than a cold one.
    Thanks for the reply
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Saovicente
    replied

Thanks Dave

Why barrel?
    1) I wanted a versatile, spacious oven I could tweak to perform various tasks (Pizza, Bread, Roasting, Baking, etc.) and keep very good heat retention throughout a few days. As a few have written here; of having the ability to quickly bring a barrel oven up to temperature even after days of nonuse. I do not mind spending the initial 1 ? to 2 hours to get it to pizza like temperature (Goal is 60to75mn) and then cruise thru a few days of making this and that with a few pieces of seasoned wood..
    2) The look of the exterior, interior space: The linear line with the curved arch provides for more of an artistic pizzazz.

Sincerely,
    Sandro

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day
    That is a very cool little oven.... But why a barrel oven and not a dome?
    ( this is not a leading question either so I can give you my views I'd like to know)
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Saovicente
    replied

The rest of the pictures.

Please fee free to ask any questions and/or add suggestions.

Thanks
    Sandro
    Last edited by Saovicente; 03-10-2014, 08:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Saovicente
    started a topic Mini Forno: The Homebrew mix experiment

Mini Forno: The Homebrew mix experiment

I wanted an oven without breaking the bank and I found the homebrew mix to be a tempting solution, but I was hesitating, because if it were to fail, I would lose quite a few $$$, time and effort.

I set out to experiment with the homebrew mix by creating a miniature oven to test the durability of the mix properties and its endurance thru multiple firings, cooking, etc.

I wanted to keep it simple and straight forward without much fuss. I mixed the 3.1.1.1 - added a good amount of fibers from a brown rope that was taking up space in my shed.

I went through the drying process with 3mil bags over the mix for a few days, then a few more days with a 100W bulb, then 500w ( the bulbs worked great, I have burn marks on my wrist to prove it)

After the bulbs I started with slow fires to finish the drying process ( after reading so many threads on the various steps of building an oven – I had not realized how tedious the drying process can be). You know the rest.....

The homebrew mix is a success. Onward to the Gigantic Barrel Forno, which will have steel needless and more brown rope added to the mix.

Below are a few pics on my Mini Forno in action. The Oven has a few stress fractures due to my impatience at the end mark (always the end) in drying it and possibly from moving it three times. ( It kept getting heavier with each move)

A special thanks to michelevit for his inspiration in creating a brickless oven on a shoestring budget. As for the way the economy is these days, every penny counts,
    Last edited by Saovicente; 03-10-2014, 08:43 AM.
Working...
X