Pedicab Tricycle Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pedicab Tricycle Oven

Let's keep an open mind. Everyone on the forum has different experiences. We are here to help each other. We may all learn something. I am looking forward to finding out how this turns out. I wish I had something I could donate or suggest.

jon
    jon

Comment

I have a suggestion: Don't pass off frozen pizza as wood fired.

Comment

If he sells crap he will go broke I don't care I just don't see we need to comment on his business plans he asked help on the build not our opinion on his pizza skills
        Do we want to start a pizza nazi post and start plans to remove every bad pizza from the world who cares what he cooks or sells crap they won't come back

Comment

Wow. I've been working the past 4 days rolling za with rapture. I was making the frozen pizza a joke. That's actually what the health dept wants and they are nazis where I live.

A v8? I have a cummins diesel from the early 90s. You could put 3 ovens on a trailer and I'd get 18 miles a gallon.

I'm trying to do something simple with this bike believe it or not. I think that it could be a really nice business model for someone trying to start a small business serving good simple food...and I know lots of people who are after that.

Comment

Originally posted by shuboyje View Post
            My laterally fired coal oven, is 32 deep x 37 wide x 20 high, and weights about 300 pounds using 1-1/4" thick castings with a high percentage of stainless needles and a standard thickness firebrick floor. It is fully insulated and has a 22.5 x 22.5 baking area, which is probably equivalent to a 32-36" round floor in a traditional wood oven where the fire takes up some of the floor space. It fires in about an hour with wood, and about 2 with coal(takes a while to get the coal going and hot) and can cook evenly from 500F-1000F+ depending on the fuel type and oven management.

What you are after can be achieved, but you are going to have to move into uncharted territory to get there.
            I've never built a white oven but I have been considering it for this project. Is that what your oven is? Right now I have a 48 inch diameter hearth on my trailer. I found an old bomb that I'm gonna cut in half and it looks like its gonna be 32 inches. I'd love to keep all that hearth space if I can.

I've also been thinking of doing something like this for the exterior of the oven to hold the insulation and whatever mass in...anyone familiar with how these folks do the copper on eir ovens?

https://mainewoodheat.com/wood-fired...ry/#tn3=albums

Comment

Originally posted by pizzaholic View Post
              I've never built a white oven but I have been considering it for this project. Is that what your oven is? Right now I have a 48 inch diameter hearth on my trailer. I found an old bomb that I'm gonna cut in half and it looks like its gonna be 32 inches. I'd love to keep all that hearth space if I can.

I've also been thinking of doing something like this for the exterior of the oven to hold the insulation and whatever mass in...anyone familiar with how these folks do the copper on eir ovens?

https://mainewoodheat.com/wood-fired...ry/#tn3=albums
              I wouldn't go to a white oven for pizza, and for this project the extra components required would add weight you don't have capacity for.

My coal oven is more of a grey oven, most similar to a Guillard oven. The heat and flame directly enter the baking chamber, but the fuel is contained in a separate fire box.

Comment

I'm coming late to this discussion but find it most interesting.

I like the whole idea although as a cyclist I am not sure I'd bank on many century days pedaling what you are describing. But I'm an old guy.

Do you have any sketches of your thoughts? I would think the finished cycle would have a high center of gravity but with storage beneath the WFO perhaps that is less of a concern. Are you going to be pushing it (ie WFO in front) or pulling it (WFO in back)?

Some small suggestions: For the canvas I would suggest you look into Sunbrella Firesist which you can get in lots of colors. My wife used to have a canvas business sewing covers for boats and dodgers etc. for salmon killers and the occasional sailboat. My wife's not here right now so I cannot ask her, but I don't think we ever had it in the shop. So perhaps it is a newer Glen Raven product. I am supposing it handles much like Sunbrella as it is part of the name and the online swatches look just like it. Sunbrella is nice to work with.

Here's a link: Glen Raven: Brands

Out of curiosity, who's building the frame? I suppose you are using chromoly although I've seen several pedicabs built using high tensile (gaspipe) but most of those were imported from either China or India (and heavy beasts they were).

As for the frozen pizza issue, are you limited to commercially made pizzas or can you make your own (in an approved kitchen etc.) and freeze them? The logistics might get weird but the finished product might be closer to what the purists are thinking it should be. A cooler with dri-ice would keep them frozen but whether you could carry enough product to make the whole venture pencil out is a different issue.

Hope this helps,
                Wiley

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                  The whole concept of a woodfired oven ......
                  A wood fired oven is what it says, an oven fired with wood. How it is used is something else. If there is a Wood Fired Oven Manifesto, I'm unaware of it, so point me to it, I may sign up unless it requires folk to grow and mill their own grain which maybe ok for some but I don't have the time. I do have a principle that I've never paid for wood, but that maybe just the stingy side coming out. Anyway I love getting wood.
                  A wood fired freezer could be cool and another "whole concept" on its own.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

That is fine, but when you buy a "wood fired pizza" are you expecting to get a Costco frozen pizza or do you expect something a little different than that, perhaps a little better as the "wood fired" would imply?

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                      A wood fired freezer could be cool......
                      I think you can pick those up at the oxymoron store.
                      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                      John Ruskin

Comment

So the whole frozen pizza thing was a joke. I've made thousands of pizzas and tossed most of the dough myself. I baked sourdough bread for a French style bakery in bongard ovens for 3 years and mixed in a 200qt petroberto and still mix in it now.

I haven't seen the drawings yet from the bike company. I'm just trying to do as much research as I can and letting them do the same not to mention just keeping the normal pizza ovens going. We have one mobile for farmers markets and weddings and one on a farm/cidery called finnriver.

Firesist looks good. The fabric does need to be weather resistant and tough. The winds can howl out here on the Olympic peninsula and of course it rains. Keeping employees dry along with the dough is a priority. And no umbrellas bouncing along the beach. None of this is going to be easy!

Comment

Shuboyje wow a goulard oven is my dream bread oven build. Do you think that would work for this application too? I would love to have the entire hearth rather than using a quarter or more for the fire.

Comment

I'm also trying to please the health dept with the 4 sinks that they want. I'm thinking of building a tiny unit probably single axle trailer. Maybe tow behind trailer for another biker would be best. Either way something very easy to move. It needs..

on demand hot water heater (propane seems best to me), although I just got a msr reactor camp stove and it boils a liter of water in like 2 minutes with very little fuel but I don't think the health dept will go for it. They are so baffled by anything new or different but talk about efficient the stove weighs like a pound.

2 water tanks. One to store hot water I believe and one for greywater. 5 gallon for washing and who knows for grey water. It might need to be 10 gallons or more. Assuming you are using 5 gallons for hand washing and then more for dishes and bleach water. All grey water has to go back to your approved kitchen and down the sink into their septic system. So all the water is from the kitchen or an approved public water source and goes down into an official waste system. If anyone has a line on good tanks to use please share! I'm on the look out for old rv tanks right now.

Then it needs 4 sinks. Yeah 4 sinks! One hand washing and 3 for washing rinsing and sanitizing dishes. That's what the man wants so that's what I'm gonna do. I'm tired of trying to make sense of their madness.

Last but not least a water pump and a power system to move all that water...maybe a solar system eventually. I would love personally to just do a foot pump like you see on sailboats but once again I think that it would confuse the heck out of the health dept..any thoughts?

Comment

This project is a great challenge to open mindedness. It requires a lot of compaction, weight savings, resource efficiency, and reliable functionality. Don't rush it, it deserves giving it some thought. You may end up with a unique product. I've just started looking for ideas that may be helpful.
                              Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
                              I forgot who said that.

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                                I think you can pick those up at the oxymoron store.
                                Perhaps, but heat to create refrigeration is quite common. My comment was meant as a joke, but as an example check this

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/my...-19083-58.html

I have used my modular oven as the top part of my kiln by modifying the refractory mix and I have plans to also use a WFO modular casting as the heater for a hot spa bath. So perhaps using a WFO for refrigeration is not so fanciful.
                                Last edited by david s; 06-10-2014, 07:14 PM.
                                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                                X