Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tandoor oven build

Hi mates,

I want to start building a tandoor oven in the garden. I saw people on the web turning clay pots to tandoor ovens. Actually clay pots are rare in my region and hard to come in big sizes. I will be considering building it from scratch. What I have is 3 bags of clay, and some available cheap insulators.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
    I forgot who said that.

Re: Tandoor oven build

There are two major concerns that are crucial for my build.
    1- Should I provide a ventilating hole at the bottom of the tandoor? or I can go without it.
    2- Regarding the building material. I heard of some people building the tandoor with just clay, jute threads, and salt! I'm surprised how this would bear high heat. Others say that I can use 2:1 clay:cement merely. The forum suggests 3:1:1:1 sand:clay:lime:cement.
    I forgot who said that.

Comment

I've been searching the web. Many people use two clay pots. Clay pots are made of just clay and baked in a kiln. Does this mean I can just use clay without any of the 2:1 or 3:1:1:1 formulas?
      Last edited by v12spirit; 06-24-2014, 09:34 PM.
      I forgot who said that.

Comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9lEwA7f8HIY try this thanks. Are you affected with the troubles? Or you can try this http://www.jamieoliver.com/jimmytandoori/to.pdf it involves a steel bin no clay!i am looking to add one to our outdoor kitchen in the uk.
        Last edited by GrahamG; 06-24-2014, 12:34 PM.
        Where can I find logs? I need more!
        Finishing the WFO will come after the barn is completed http://flinthousebarn.co.uk/

Comment

Thanks for the options. I hope I can find a clay pot the size of my preferred tandoor. That will make the build far easier.
          I think I will be compelled to build my own from scratch, but the main concern is what the best mix formula is .
          Last edited by v12spirit; 06-24-2014, 01:24 PM.
          I forgot who said that.

Comment

I'm considering available materials for my tandoor. I have white and gray Portland cement. what is the difference between the two regarding being used in homebrew mix?
            Also, I was told by suppliers that lime comes in two types, "hot" lime and "cool" lime! some of them asked me if I meant "Gypsum". Gypsum also comes in two types "fast" and "slow".
            Do I buy the "hot" or "cool" lime, or "fast" or "slow" gypsum, or is lime something different from all of that?
            I forgot who said that.

Comment

Too many questions on this thread. Any comments on this formula: 3:2:2:0.5 - crushed bricks:sand:cement:lime ??
              I forgot who said that.

Comment

Regarding the mixture that I will be using to build the tandoor chamber, some people just use jute threads with clay to make the mix coherent, some say that using SS needles in the mix helps in preventing cracking. I'm confused which is better to use or if I can use both, or even use hemp threads being kinda heat resistant. I have all the necessary materials and want to do it right.
                I forgot who said that.

Comment

traditionally the liners are made of just clay.

If you have good quality clay, you should not need to use lime, cement or anything else.

If you can find a non-glazed non coated terracotta planter pot - then this is ideal and should save you a lot of time.

Another option may be to find a Potter in your area who can make the liner for you.

Here is a build log that i direct people to when asking about tandoor ovens.
                  (you may have seen already)

VillaGok tandoor oven
                  -------------------------------------------
                  My 2nd Build:
                  Is here

Comment

Thanks a lot Mitchamus. This thread has been waiting for quite a while..
                    The link is interesting. I haven't seen it while I was googling.
                    I forgot who said that.

Comment

Working...
                    X