Ancient 'bread oven'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancient 'bread oven'

Apologies if this isn't on topic, I've been searching around for a while to see if anyone out there can help.

I am the proud owner of a woodburning 'bread' oven in an ancient farmhouse out in the sticks in Latvia. The oven section itself is very similar to the pizza oven design (or such as the russian stoves used for heating.) However I have a number of puzzling features that I am trying to understand.

Firstly, there is no visible chimney although smoke does rize and pass out through one of the chimneys outside, so somewhere there is a route. Next, there seems to be a 'passage' that circulates around the front of the oven, I've just cleared it of debris (old vodka bottles, tin cans etc.) Does anyone know its purpose? should I leave it open (where I removed the two new bricks that someone had put in previously or should I brick it up again?

I really would like to be able to bake and cook with this oven but to date have found no plans or info to give me an insight into how it works. So guys, any assistance would be fantastic.

Re: Ancient 'bread oven'

What a interesting story, please when you get a chance take some pictures and post them here. This site is loaded with people with some pretty extensive knowledge and skill. I'm betting if you where to post some pictures that you will get the help you need here.
    Chris

Link to my photo album:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

I'll grab some photos shortly when my phone has charged again, have to be honest I am really looking forward to the chance to cook / bake in it. I am running my farm using old fashioned techniques and tools and love cooking on my wood burning stove, so the oven will be the icing on the cake, so to speak!

Comment

Hi Kepi,
        photographs would clearly help to solve your problem, and also a little delving on your part could also help. After removing the obstructions from what appeared to be a "passage", see if you can pass a wire, hose or pipe/tube up it and establish its length and route. Being built so long ago, it may only have exhausted into the room or merely just out of the entrance where other chimneys may have caught and allowed the smoke to exit. When they ae burning well, there is no smoke so this could have been the solution or accepted way of building in early days.
        Cheers and post a few pictures.

Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neill’s kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Originally posted by Kepi View Post
          Apologies if this isn't on topic, I've been searching around for a while to see if anyone out there can help.

I am the proud owner of a woodburning 'bread' oven in an ancient farmhouse out in the sticks in Latvia. The oven section itself is very similar to the pizza oven design (or such as the russian stoves used for heating.) However I have a number of puzzling features that I am trying to understand.

Firstly, there is no visible chimney although smoke does rize and pass out through one of the chimneys outside, so somewhere there is a route. Next, there seems to be a 'passage' that circulates around the front of the oven, I've just cleared it of debris (old vodka bottles, tin cans etc.) Does anyone know its purpose? should I leave it open (where I removed the two new bricks that someone had put in previously or should I brick it up again?

I really would like to be able to bake and cook with this oven but to date have found no plans or info to give me an insight into how it works. So guys, any assistance would be fantastic.
          It sounds like your 'passage' is a fresh air intake....they were commonly built into fireplaces, and the description of yours makes me think that's what it is. Also, I suspect your oven is a rear vented squirrel tail flue, if there is no visible vent opening in front. Just hunches, without pictures it's hard to say for certain based on your post.
          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
          John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
          X