X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heavy Gauge Steel Lined Vault Oven

Originally posted by halfbakedpixel View Post
    Update.
    The baffle is being laser cut for delivery on friday so i should be able to weld it in this weekend.

What mortar mix should i use for the bricks around the outside of the steel vault?
    Use the Homebrew 3:1:1:1 sand,Portland cement,lime,clay. But don't expect too much of any mortar because your expanding steel will crack any mortar joints, but as they're outside the steel shell it doesn't really matter what happens to them.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
      Use the Homebrew 3:1:1:1 sand,Portland cement,lime,clay. But don't expect too much of any mortar because your expanding steel will crack any mortar joints, but as they're outside the steel shell it doesn't really matter what happens to them.
      Nice one cheers. I've got a builders merchants just down the road from work so i might have a nosey in there at lunch today.
      Can't wait to get started on bricking it up.

Comment

Something to keep in mind when bricking it up is that you want intimate contact between the steel and the refractory heat sink (bricks and mortar).

Voids between the two will lessen the effectiveness of heat transfer both into the reservoir and back to the steel and therefor back into the WFO.

Hope this helps,
        Wiley

Comment

Originally posted by Wiley View Post
          Something to keep in mind when bricking it up is that you want intimate contact between the steel and the refractory heat sink (bricks and mortar).

Voids between the two will lessen the effectiveness of heat transfer both into the reservoir and back to the steel and therefor back into the WFO.

Hope this helps,
          Wiley
          Thankyou for the advice.
          Picking up the cement, lime, clay and sand today.

Comment

Well its been a busy weekend and i managed to get the baffle welded in, the sides welded on, the brick base down and some of the dome bricked up.

Comment

Am afraid the contact between the bricks and the curved steel would be minor if the bricks come in direct contact with the steel without any refractory in between to fill the consequent space.
              Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
              I forgot who said that.

Comment

I was really busy this weekend getting the brick dome finished. All thats left is bricking up the main door arch.
                Was originally going to render the bricks to finish but i've decided to make an outer 2mm thick steel skin that fits over the bricks. This will look way neater and i can then paint it.

We also had a go at cooking in it, i know its cheating but we cooked a frozen pizza to start with. Then moved on to pies and some Parsnips.

Comment

Been looking for materials i can cover the dome before fitting the final 2mm thk stainless skin.
                  Would this ceramic fibre blanket be good enough for the job?
                  Ceramic Fibre Blanket 13 mm Superwool Plus - 1 to 14 mtr | eBay

Comment

Originally posted by halfbakedpixel View Post
                    Been looking for materials i can cover the dome before fitting the final 2mm thk stainless skin.
                    Would this ceramic fibre blanket be good enough for the job?
                    Ceramic Fibre Blanket 13 mm Superwool Plus - 1 to 14 mtr | eBay
                    That's the stuff. It is the safe fibre that is exonerated as a suspected/potential carcinogen.
                    Re your stainless steel skin, is there a reason you want it so thick? The usual would be 0.55 mm 304 stainless. Heat has a tendency to rush to heavy conductors so it would make more sense to keep it thin.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                      That's the stuff. It is the safe fibre that is exonerated as a suspected/potential carcinogen.
                      Re your stainless steel skin, is there a reason you want it so thick? The usual would be 0.55 mm 304 stainless. Heat has a tendency to rush to heavy conductors so it would make more sense to keep it thin.
                      Ha ha that is true, i'm used to working in anything above 1.5mm.
                      I design food processing equipment and our workshop is full of stainless steel, we get sheet laser cut everyday so i'll measure up my oven and get something cut to suit and folded/rolled.

Comment

Working...
                      X