Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Steel Dome Oven

Buckeyebreadman,
    Using a layer of soapstone where I used a thin layer of firebricks should work fine. The thinner layer of firebricks was to provide a stronger more wear resistant surface for the steel dome to sit upon rather than simply sitting the dome upon soft vermicrete. I was concerned as the steel dome expands and contracts with each firing that it would slowly wear into it. This could potentially cause all sorts of problems with intimate contact (think heat transfer) from the steel dome to the refractory heat reservoir overlaying it.

Soapstone is also known as talc and when ground to a fine powder is talcum powder. In this case I would expect the soapstone (although softer than a firebrick) would act as a self lubricating surface. It should work very well.

Bests,
    Wiley

Comment

How did it turn out?

Comment

If there's a slower build I don't want to know about it.
        I actually opted for 2" of insulation board on top of 4" of vermicrete.
        I'll now add a layer just like Wiley did. The thinner Firebrick and the usual thicker ones (2 1/4"?) Going on Three years and that's where I sit. Should get the dome on this spring. I'll update then.
        The soapstone was just too expensive.

Comment

• Hey Wiley,
          I am beginning to build my own steel dome oven from a propane tank end and wanted to see how yours is holding up over the years. Thanks for your previously shared advice and inspiration.

Casey

Comment

• after alot of lurking and reading...i am inspired! this seems like the way i want to build my oven as well. thanks for the great info and write up.

Comment

• Hello good people,
              Been a long time since I circled back thru here and saw these last posts with questions about how my WFO is holding up. Attached are a couple of photos.
              I painted the oven this year and (excepting cleaning) that is all the maintenance the WFO has required since it was last painted 12 years ago. The oven still fires quickly and holds heat well.
              Only change I would make (and this is not large enough for me to do) is to use a larger in diameter chimney : instead of a six inch diameter I would go with 8 inches.
              Hope this helps,
              Wiley

Comment

• Wiley,

long time no hear, glad to hear the oven is functioning well. Goes to prove there’s more than one way to skin a cat.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

• Wiley you are an inspiration. I am building a small batch of steel-based ovens this spring, with a view to launching my pizza business in the next couple of months. I stumbled across this and the info has been great. Thank you. Aidan

Comment

• I’m building a ‘lite’ version of this design and this excellent thread has answered many of my questions, as well as inspiring some design ideas. I posted some info and questions a couple months ago (https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ign#post438075) but got limited response - I guess everyone was hanging out here!

The big difference in my design is that the metal is just a thin liner. From what I gather from all these posts I think it should work out. I expect to build the dome this month. I’ll post results and pictures in the new thread.
                    It’s nice to see that others are also on the multi-year build plan. I will have my wife read these next time she complains about how long it is taking me!

many thanks to all the contributors.

Comment

Working...
                    X