Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alomran
    replied
    1- If the pizza oven heath is extended to the outside of oven, doesn't this action create a thermal bridge to the outside? Should I stop the heath made of the heater storage bricks to the door?
    2- How do I insulate the oven? how thick is the ceramic blanket I should use? Is there a need for rock-wool as well as ceramic blanket as well?
    3- How thick should the Leca/ pumice/perelite layer light concrete insulative external layer be?
    4- I am using a pumice mixed with cement as an insulative layer for the pizza oven heath, Is 10cm thick is adequate? Upon which a heater storage brick of 5cm will be positioned. Is this more than adequate?
    6- Is it worth using an aluminium foil then a 1cm layer of sand between the pumice and the heater storage bricks?

Leave a comment:

• Alomran
    replied
    Originally posted by david s View Post
    There are two problems in using pumice as an aggregate for a castable mix. Firstly, it will create an insulating mix that's not particularly strong leaving the resulting casting subject to abrasion damage. Secondly, because of the air trapped in the pumice it is more difficult for heat to penetrate the material. As you really want to store the heat a more conductive and dense material is preferable.
    In this case, you are advising me to use the pumice only as an insulant covering the external surface rather than an internal material facing the heat and fire.
    I often cook 5-7 dishes when I have friends around in one go. Equally, I live in a secluded area with a small community and I would like to cook the Turkeys for them during the Xmas!! I also live in a woodland with plenty of logs.

Leave a comment:

• Toomulla
    replied
    That is a huge oven and will use a lot of fuel to heat most ovens built on this site would be half the diameter. What do you intend to cook

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    There are two problems in using pumice as an aggregate for a castable mix. Firstly, it will create an insulating mix that's not particularly strong leaving the resulting casting subject to abrasion damage. Secondly, because of the air trapped in the pumice it is more difficult for heat to penetrate the material. As you really want to store the heat a more conductive and dense material is preferable.

Leave a comment:

• 2 meter diameter New build oven with pumice reinforced with Basalt Rebar

I have just started building the base for a pizza/food oven in my garden in the UK, with the dome 1.9m (75") in diameter.
    Initially, I was going to create a dome out of pumice reinforced with
    Basalt Rebar. However, I have chickened out as I haven't n come across someone who has used a pumice concrete for a dome.!!!!

Instead, I intend to use pumice as an insulation for the floor and for the dome.
    The dome will be made of Victorian red bricks instead of fire bricks, since firebricks are very expensive for the amount I need.
    I am aiming to have the dome internal height from floor around 90cm (36") and the door will have a double arch with chimney chamber 60cm in width in between.

Questions:

1- Is the gigantic dome too low?

2- I already have 60Kg of fire cement, any idea if I need to mix it with sand or should the fire cement be used on it's own?
    3- Shall i go for the fire cement ? or the a 3:1:1:1 (sand: lime: portland: fire clay)?
    4- If anyone has tried creating pumice dome, please feel free to pass on your thoughts?!!!
    Attached Files
Working...
X