Clear All

• samreg77
    replied
    looks good

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Originally posted by cnegrelli View Post
    David - what is it you did with the front face of the entry of your new oven? Tile?

I am struggling with how to finish that part of my enclosure. I plan to stucco mostly, but I need to understand how exactly to bring the outer shell up to that front face. I'm thinking to bring the cement board flush with that face, and then render over it with stucco or tile. But that would seem to imply adding lath to the front face, meaning I have to drill holes into the casted piece of art!
    Am I on or off track here?
    Yes, It's polished concrete. The stones are flattish and placed into the mould which is backfilled then polished after demoulding and curing. There are so many ways to decorate the front. Here's a really easy one (pic) using slate, I was working on yesterday. I cast 8 wire ties into the casting to assist tying into the outer shell (look carefully and you can see two on the right hand side).

Texman: sorry I missed your question. I use Calderys Castflo 1450 ARG which is a proprietary calcium aluminate castable.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P7010453.jpg Views:	1 Size:	274.4 KB ID:	399226
    Last edited by david s; 06-30-2017, 05:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    Thanks Russell,

I missed that post. I went back to view it again. I'm betting those large rocks were pre-split with the flat faces to the form in an upside down pour. Irregardless how it was done, it's a great looking job .

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    His thread on the new oven says polished concrete.

Leave a comment:

• cnegrelli
    replied
    David - what is it you did with the front face of the entry of your new oven? Tile?

I am struggling with how to finish that part of my enclosure. I plan to stucco mostly, but I need to understand how exactly to bring the outer shell up to that front face. I'm thinking to bring the cement board flush with that face, and then render over it with stucco or tile. But that would seem to imply adding lath to the front face, meaning I have to drill holes into the casted piece of art!
    Am I on or off track here?

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied
    G'day Davids
    New oven looks great and it's a shame the old oven had to go. But being a rental people expect them to go faster in every gear I suppose
    regards dave
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 06-25-2017, 01:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Liking your new oven. I guess it is your winter now, doing any skiing? We are still open at Snowbird on weekends only.
    Thanks Russell, Skiing in Australia is around 2000 km south, poor quality snow and very expensive. We prefer to go to Japan during our unpleasantly hot summer, much cheaper, fantastic snow and only a 7 hr flight north.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Originally posted by fox View Post
    Hi David, looks great, did you just drill a hole for the thermometer, is it just a standard thermometer?
    Is that you closest to the camera?
    Yes I drilled a hole after completing the oven, through the outer shell, insulation and inner dome casting. I use some stainless steel pipe as a protective sheath for the thermometer probe. That's not me closest to the camera, that's my son in law. I'm the bloke guarding the beer.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Liking your new oven. I guess it is your winter now, doing any skiing? We are still open at Snowbird on weekends only.

Leave a comment:

• fox
    replied
    Hi David, looks great, did you just drill a hole for the thermometer, is it just a standard thermometer?
    Is that you closest to the camera?

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Back to the original paint job, but this time with a polished concrete decorative arch.Click image for larger version  Name:	image_80461.jpg Views:	1 Size:	253.0 KB ID:	398786
    At the Palm Creek Music Festival.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1360.jpg Views:	1 Size:	134.6 KB ID:	398787
    Last edited by david s; 06-14-2017, 05:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Oven finished and ready for re-rental.I was sorry to see the old one go so will repaint it in the same style as the original. Click image for larger version  Name:	P6020450 (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.42 MB ID:	398687Click image for larger version  Name:	P6020449.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.37 MB ID:	398688
    Last edited by david s; 06-12-2017, 02:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• agrasyuk
    replied
    Excellent picture. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied
    yes, thanks for doing that. Very impressive results for a mobile oven for sure. What is your castable mix?

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Thanks for taking the time to show the members what worked and what didn't in the dismantling of your original oven. Lessons learned with help all those who are considering casting an oven.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X