Home brew cast oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home brew cast oven

I would like to share my summer project. I found a lot of helpful information here and maybe someone can find this helpful.
    I apologize if i use incorrect english terminology.

I first made a concrete slab of about 10cm with rebar. I made a base using LECA-blocks and mortar. On the top i stabilized using old wardrobe-bars and put a sheet used for casting on it. I then made a concrete slab about 5 cm.

Click below for photos.
    part 2 in next post.
    /anders
    Last edited by anleb; 11-13-2017, 01:43 PM.

On the concrete slab i put 12cm vermicrete (about 5:1).
    The oven i casted using home brew (3:1:1:1 Sand, Hydrated Lime, Portland Cement and powdered pottery clay) and 2% ss needles by weight. I used a gym ball, old cutting boards and used some (plastic covered) dry clay on top of the opening to create a larger opening in the arch for better smoke extraction. I put plastic wrapping on the chimney base so that it wouldn't stick and then removed it. I put som bbq-skewers as an extra support for the chimney base and then put it back and attached it using home brew.
    Last edited by anleb; 11-13-2017, 02:06 PM.

Comment

As hearth base i used 5cm fire bricks. The oven was covered in insulating fiber (superwool) and then about 5 cm vermicrete (10:1). The finising layers are a 1-2cm thick layer of stucco and then a thin layer of white cement based material (waterproof but allows diffusion) was applied using a brush. The chimney is detachable, and can be replaced by a insulating lid. Next summer I will do some finishing touches on the base.

I am very happy with the result so far. Pizza in 60-90s, about 500 degrees celcius in the dome ceiling.

/Anders
      Attached Files
      Last edited by anleb; 11-13-2017, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Well done!

Comment

Working...
        X