No announcement yet.

Alan Scott oven project begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russell I think Alan Scott often built these ovens in seminars and had 6 or 8 people working on them at once. I could imagine the arches being started the same day the soldiers were laid, or the next day. So I could understand it then. There is a point in this build where the bracing would have to come off anyway, and a period of time would go by before they were encased in concrete and secured. So they must be able to take the pressure if the soldiers are not too freshly set.
    I wish I knew how to figure how much of the load per arch is downward, and how much is sideways on the soldiers. I figure each arch is about 100 lbs. If half that weight is pushing outward..horizontal...that means of that 50 lbs there will be about 25 lbs per side, split between 4 soldiers. That is just over 6 lbs per soldier. And I bet the sideways loading is much less than 50%.

And I won't be adding much heat to the oven until it has been encased in concrete in a few weeks. I will likely use a propane space heater to dry the oven before pouring the concrete cladding, but I won't let it get too hot.

Dean

Comment

I guess if you are following the Alan Scott plans then the design has been tested. However if this were a kiln it has a number of design weaknesses. It is an oven and subject to around half the temperature and therefore thermal expansion of a kiln. But the structural integrity is compromised by having long vertical joints in the soldier course. The back wall appears to be built beside rather than under the vault and therefore subjected to the expanding vault wanting to push it out. The vault bricks are not laid on bond which weakens the vault. These issues can be addressed with either buttressing or bracing. You may get away with not doing either, but the long term use will test the structure from the constant heat cycling. If you were to fire the oven daily any problems are likely to occur sooner than if the oven only gets occasional use.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi David and Russell,

Well you guys have convinced me to brace the soldier course...see pic. As for the perceived weakness of the oven design, it doesn't seem to prove to be deficient in actual use. I have not heard of any Alan Scott ovens having problems in the areas that you describe. I wonder if the fact that the hearth fire bricks are not mortared into place helps? It would for example allow the back wall to move slightly if pushed by the expanding oven when heated. Sort of a built in stress relief?
        I will leave the bracing on the walls for the next week or two until I encase the entire oven in a few inches of concrete. The soldiers won't be going anywhere after that.

Dean
        Last edited by astroinfidel; 09-07-2019, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Hi everybody,

Here are some recent pics from my oven build. The concrete cladding is poured, and I am currently working on the outer hearth. I decided to replace the Flintstone slab spanning the entryway with one that matches better. The last few pics are from today as I cut it and notched it for the steel. The granite and steel expand at different rates, and granite cracks easier than most stone under heat, so I will be using aluminum foil between the steel and granite when I set them in mortar so the are independent of each other. The steel will make any cracking of the granite Flintstone slab a cosmetic issue only. This slab has to support not only its own weight, but also the weight of the front of the chimney, so the steel will make sure it has the strength it needs to do so even if it cracks.

Moderator: I guess I should have started this oven build post in the section on brick ovens, rather than here in introductions. Is there any way to move it to the appropriate section of the forum?

Dean
          Last edited by astroinfidel; 09-07-2019, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Some of the pics between this post and the above one are out of order and I can't seem to fix that. The first pic here is just a dry fit, but it gives an idea of the shape of the front of the oven and chimney. The chimney will be faced with the granite as well. I will paint the steel with heat paint tomorrow and hopefully have the Flintstone slab in place the next day. Then I can start on the chimney.

Dean
            Last edited by astroinfidel; 09-07-2019, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Moved to Other Oven Types
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

how do I find the Karangi Dude Barrell oven

Comment

Hi Lahot,

Welcome to the forum. Here is a link to Karangi Dudes Barrel Bread Oven.
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
                  X