Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Reduce the picture size with windows or any other photo editor. Lots of freeware out there too.

Leave a comment:

• badrobot
    replied
    I just wanted to update this post to say I have finally cast my dome after alot of fun learning curves, and say a huge thanks for all the helpful comments and encouragement.

I am now working on sorting out the floor/base with which to house the thing. I wanna have some little warmer fires to dissapate water soon as its outside undercover and getting very cold in the evenings now and am a bit anxious about damage caused by freezing conditions which feel immenent. Any feedback on this point welcomed. Oh and I would like to upload pics but it is saying they are excedding the 2mb limit which is weird as it worked before.
    Any thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• badrobot
    replied
    Hi...Anybody have an idea where's a good place to obtain 50-60mm Cal-sil ceramic fibre board approx 4ft x 4ft as It is very costly, or an alternative way of creating a flat insulative base for fire bricks, bearing in mind that the oven I am building is being housed in a trailer, thus mobile.

Cheers Rob
    Last edited by badrobot; 09-30-2019, 07:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• badrobot
    replied
    So I have now recieved some Fibermesh micro fibres from Sika UK that were kindly donated to the cause, and a data sheet provided by Castree Kilns for their 1400c castable (which should both be attached for reference purposes.) I had requested a sample of castable to test though doesn't seem to be possible. If only the place wasn't so far away. It has been stated there are SS needles in mix by the both the supplier and Fox. Though I can't seem to be able to get an idea of amounts. Though I'll probably add some to the order and do some experimenting to be sure there is enough to assist my structural (mobile) needs.

Huge thank you for all the feedback thus far, I love this forum!!!!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by badrobot; 08-29-2019, 09:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• fox
    replied
    Yes I made the moulds from fibreglass, it was time consuming, expensive and pretty difficult but... I trained as a boat builder and I have used fibreglass all my working life.
    It just made sense for me to make a mould, I did have lots of problems along the way though.

I initially used a 30” gym ball to form the inner fibreglass mould but later discovered that once inflated, the ball was not actually symmetrically round! This caused a lot of work to rectify however I got there in the end.
    My new 32” mould is even more complex and it took me months to build!

Making a one piece dome from a mould would be a lot easier but still a lot more difficult and expensive than casting against a mound of sand.

I am sure it would be cheaper to buy a ready made dome rather than building a take apart mould .
    However to be able to vibrate the mix would make a huge difference to the overall integrity, although I don’t see a way to do that unless you have some sort of solid form.

Last edited by fox; 08-18-2019, 12:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Making an inner and outer mould is the way to go if you are making multiple castings. However, the time and expense to do so for a one off casting is not worth the effort IMO.

Leave a comment:

• badrobot
    replied
    Originally posted by fox View Post
    OK this vid is a couple of years old, I have since made another mould for a slightly bigger 32” dome.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pRnlKzJSpfo
    Hello Fox, I see what you mean now by work quickly! I had actually seen this video before. How easy is it to make a mold, did you design it. I presume its fibre glass.

Leave a comment:

• fox
    replied
    OK this vid is a couple of years old, I have since made another mould for a slightly bigger 32” dome.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pRnlKzJSpfo

Leave a comment:

• badrobot
    replied
    Ha not really paranoid.... but I was was worried that I had dreamt about the fibres!

No ideas about the min cost as I also buy ceramic insulation at the same time so my orders are quite big. As I live in Guernsey, I have to pay for a pallet delivery anyway!

I do add additional needles to the mix.

To be honest I don’t imagine it will be very easy to use high temp castable without retaining it in a mould but it seems others have done so with success.
    Home brew is a much more pleasant material to use and seems quite popular for home casting ‘one off’ ovens.

I can only say that... the end results for me worked as well as I had hoped for, but ... the product is a gritty, fast setting and a dry mixture that is not particularly pleasant to work with.
    I make my mix in an electric mixer and fill my mould sections in just a few minutes, so I don’t have to worry about the working time of the mix but I then have to completely clean the mixer before the next section can be filled.
    (I have a video if you are interested)
    I would very interested to see any video relating to this.
    Fast setting....I have a variety of skills but not used this castable before, so any aids will be very welcomed. Is there a way of extending the working time? I don't have a cement mixer, though I do have a drill mixer attachment, Though have read somewhere not to bother with this when mixing outer vermicrete mix. I was planning on small batches by hand (with gloves) and possibly using an electric sander to vibrate mix (saw this method in a video)

Leave a comment:

• fox
    replied
    Ha not really paranoid.... but I was was worried that I had dreamt about the fibres!

No ideas about the min cost as I also buy ceramic insulation at the same time so my orders are quite big. As I live in Guernsey, I have to pay for a pallet delivery anyway!

I do add additional needles to the mix.

To be honest I don’t imagine it will be very easy to use high temp castable without retaining it in a mould but it seems others have done so with success.
    Home brew is a much more pleasant material to use and seems quite popular for home casting ‘one off’ ovens.

I can only say that... the end results for me worked as well as I had hoped for, but ... the product is a gritty, fast setting and a dry mixture that is not particularly pleasant to work with.
    I make my mix in an electric mixer and fill my mould sections in just a few minutes, so I don’t have to worry about the working time of the mix but I then have to completely clean the mixer before the next section can be filled.
    (I have a video if you are interested)
    Last edited by fox; 08-17-2019, 09:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• badrobot
    replied
    I will also request a sample of course. (Fox) Do you know if they have a limit spend. As other places I have tried here in the UK requires a min £200 spend....and I am aiming to keep within this figure not at the expense of performance/longevity, ambitious perhap, but still.

Leave a comment:

• badrobot
    replied
    Ha Ha I got a bit paranoid after making that last post so I took a picture, I had forgotten that the product also has a certain amount of stainless needles as well as fibres.
    Why the paranoia? It's great to see product (Thanks Fox) doesn't seem to have many needles in it looks like its got only one, lol. I will be asking James about this and send him the link provided (thanks Dave) Seems like I may only require the dense castable bags. But I will be re-requesting/checking the data to be sure, as I will not be making it in parts but a whole dome (with 2 part cast cooking surface or Bricks).

Leave a comment:

• fox
    replied
    Ha Ha I got a bit paranoid after making that last post so I took a picture, I had forgotten that the product also has a certain amount of stainless needles as well as fibres.

Leave a comment:

• fox
    replied
    The last batch I bought was around 14 months ago and I am just about ready to order another 30 bags.
    The bags that were supplied to me most definitely do contain fibres....
    I have used the product in several rocket stoves where you can expect prolonged temperatures in excess of 1000c and it has performed faultlessly.
    I have also built 7 pizza ovens using the same product with no issues ... however I mould my ovens in several sections and they are made with a very dry mix and vibrated to expel as much air as possible.
    I also add stainless needles.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Here you go, show the salesman this.
    https://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=2034
    I did have a look at the data sheet for the product I use and there was no mention of the fibres that are in the mix, as all the manufacturers are pretty secretive about their recipes, but if you sieve a sample you can can easily find them. Note the tiny amount, on the link provided, that is required. 0.05- 0.01 % by weight. The castable may be in plain white bags which is unusual and perhaps a bit suspicious. They should have the name of the manufacturer and the date it was manufactured displayed on each bag. There must also be a data sheet for the product available somewhere, but the salesman must know who the manufacturer is and should be able to either contact them or provide it to you to follow up.
    Last edited by david s; 08-16-2019, 01:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X