Homebrew cast oven build in Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homebrew cast oven build in Scotland

Hi thought i would share my oven build so others might get any ideas and to show everyone from the site (and ukwoodfiredovenforum) that have given me inspiration, advice and knowledge to make this happen and work, Thankyou.

Started in June this year with the thought of making a budget oven from videos i had seen on youtube of vermiculite cast domes after spending a few weeks building the base i thought no way am i putting in this much work for a unknown dome. So after reading lots and asking questions went down the route of casting a dome from homebrew mix of 1,1,1,3 consisting of fireclay, cement, hydrated lime and sand. This has been used loads before with a lot of information and history of holding up well to the heat and test of time unlike the vermiculite cast ovens that i could find no reviews after a few years. Main reason to cast was to keep costs down compared with buying fire bricks or buying precast, but still want a oven that would work and last. Have listed the stages of build and pictures to illustrate.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

I have added comments to each of the pictures just releasing you need to click them open to see!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Now putting the 2" of vermiculite over the insulation layer for extra heat retention

Comment

All done just need to what for two weeks to give it a chance to dry. This was the hardest part in Scotland as we get a lot of rain so had made a cover with wood support that i would lift on ever day / night with the help of the wife to keep dry

Comment

Start of the curing fires getting close now reading up on pizza doe recipes

Comment

Working...
                              X