Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hattori-Hanzo View Post
    Looking good Mullster

I'm at pretty much the same stage as you at the moment. Just waiting for the dome to cure for a few days before removing sand.
    The home brew works surprisingly well, its easy to shape and holds well.

I've just covered mine in a heavy tarpaulin and gave the dome a good spray of water before covering up. If the newspaper was nice and wet this should help to retain some moisture in the dome too.

good luck with the rest of the build and keep us posted. not sure why your photos are being rotated 90 degrees though?
    It’s annoying isn’t it - I did read how to fix them one time but I can’t remember now. If someone can remind me I’ll try it.

Have you got a build thread Hattori-Hanzo ?
    My cast oven build thread

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-castable-dome

Comment

Chimney source?

Any of the guys in the UK got good tips on where to buy a flue?

I bought one months back but it’s only 5 inch diameter and very short.

Comment

I need to start a thread soon, just got to organise and up load the photos.
        The build is very similar to yours but I've used a course of fire bricks around the base of the dome then cast on top of them.

Are you after a single or double walled flue?
        I got mine from eBay in the end as price was good.

I'll dig out the seller later.

Stainless flues seem to be a little more expensive

Comment

That would be good then all your post are in one place rather than spread out on other members threads.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hi Mullster, looks great mate, I'm building 30" cast dome and currently just laid the vermiculite slab. I've sourced the rest of the material but with the sand form /Castle you made, do you have any idea how much you used? I've ordered 200kg of builders sand from MKM supplies up here in Scotland but a bit worried now as you said you used every last bit of your sand?

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Daveholdn View Post
              Hi Mullster, looks great mate, I'm building 30" cast dome and currently just laid the vermiculite slab. I've sourced the rest of the material but with the sand form /Castle you made, do you have any idea how much you used? I've ordered 200kg of builders sand from MKM supplies up here in Scotland but a bit worried now as you said you used every last bit of your sand?

Cheers

Dave
              Daveholdn Sorry I didn’t keep proper track but it was about 100kg I believe and as I said I stuffed as much other stuff in there as I could!

The dome is 32” internal so you’ll have less needed in that sense.

I didn’t mind too much - of all the materials on this project sand is just about the cheapest!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2AFAE08C-ED1E-496C-AB14-C8AC3EF67E9E.png
Views:	775
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	424701 Does anyone know if these “vitreous enamel” black flue pipes are suitable? They do refer to wood burning stoves and 600 degrees Celsius temperatures? Are they ok?
                Id really like black rather than steel colored.

Comment

Originally posted by Daveholdn View Post

Cheers

Dave
                  Volume of a sphere 4/3 x pi x r3 (don't forget to halve it cause it's a hemisphere.
                  sand density is around 1.7 kg/litre
                  density = mass/volume
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

The cast looks great! Thanks for the pictures! Maybe I should relax and be less intimidated with this. Do you think you can post a picture of tools you have used and found useful? Only experience with concrete/bricks I have is pouring slabs. No idea what people use for even basic tasks. Thank you!
                    Last edited by sergetania; 06-26-2020, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• Mullsterdavid s thanks very much for the info

Comment

• Originally posted by sergetania View Post
                        The cast looks great! Thanks for the pictures! Maybe I should relax and be less intimidated with this. Do you think you can post a picture of tools you have used and found useful? Only experience with concrete/bricks I have is pouring slabs. No idea what people use for even basic tasks. Thank you!
                        sergetania i bought this set and used both of the circled trowels during casting day - the smaller one for mixing and placing the mixture on, and the larger one for smoothing.

I do think a homemade curved trowel like a couple of the guys have shared would have possibly been more effective for the smoothing.

Comment

• Thank you Mullster ! I have seen the curved trowel. It looks handy. I have also looked up the flexitub In US, everything(from fishing to construction to homebrewing) is done with 5 gal buckets
                          Last edited by sergetania; 06-26-2020, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• Looking good mullster, I see you got caught out underestimating the dome sand as I had. Bag after bag was eaten up even with a load of bricks to fill the space. I've been working on the front part of mine while the cast dries out. Will get some pics up soon.

Comment

• Please learn from my casting mistakes.....

Its really hard not to be massively deflated after today. I’m back to work tomorrow so figured I would remove the framework and sand dome from my casting (4 days since casting day) hoping it would help the cure given we have damp weather forecast all week anyway.

Because of the way I had created my frame it was incredibly difficult to remove. Removing it contributed (I think this likely would have happened anyway) to my flue gallery cracking significantly. I don’t think it’s recoverable and will definitely appreciate the advice of the likes of DavidS
                              on how to move forward now. I suspect I need to cast a fresh flue gallery but as my original was all one piece with the dome I’m really worried about causing further damaging by trying to “cut it off”.

I’m also not sure about the quality of the dome. From the outside it looks great and solid and does feel robust. On the inside there are multiple crevices. I’ve read a lot of posts about filling in cracks etc - so would appreciate views on whether this is achievable for me or do I literally have to start all over again with the whole casting.....

Mistakes I made - please learn from these if you haven’t cast yet:
                              1. Using MDF for the frame - a ‘wood’ that absorbs water and then swells - I feel like punching myself in the head for that one
                              2. Screwing the frame together from the wrong side. Multiple parts of my frame were constructed with screws only accessible if you were in the dome covered in sand yourself.....2nd punch in the head
                              3. Lack of Patience - by this point I am more than 11 weeks into the build - I’m desperate to progress but on reflection casting my dome in 28 degree c heat goes against all the advice I’ve read on this forum. I don’t know if it has contributed, but looking at certain areas of the casting it feels like layers may have dried more than they should have before the next layer was put on causing the crevices?
                              4. Not following tips from others. I must have spent days of my life reading posts on this forum from seasoned oven builders, and those that are just a step or two ahead and although I’ve taken a lot onboard, I distinctly ignored certain tips even though I thought about following them. For example putting shims under the frame so it can ‘fall down’ a few mm for removal. Putting card around the flue mould - paint can in my case.
                              5. Casting all in one piece. I know plenty have done this successfully, but I am wondering if a 2 piece approach (flue gallery separate) might be advisable for first timers. It simplifies the framework and reduces the risk I am now faced with of potentially ruining my dome trying to remove my gallery.
                              Guys I’m sharing this hoping that anyone who hasn’t cast yet gets something from it. I wouldn’t want anyone else to feel how I did this morning when I watched my cast split in my hands, and realised just how many things I should and could have done differently.

I would welcome advice and views on my next steps which are going to have to be taken carefully!

Last edited by Mullster; 06-28-2020, 08:23 AM.

Comment

• More pictures

Comment

Working...
                                X