No announcement yet.

Finally decided on 32in castable dome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I use castable refractory because I manufacture ovens, but if I were just making one for myself I’d go with the homebrew. Not only is it way cheaper, but it’s far more user friendly. At £15 though that’s a very good price and yes, most castable refractory contains the burnout fibres. You can check by sieving a small amount. It also has the advantage of not requiring extended damp curing like a Portland cement based castable.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

• Aloha Mullster... I stayed up late reading your build last night and my heart sank for you, and for me when I got to the aftermath of your cast... I can feel you man.. you spend so much time and money you want it to come out killer... I was so glad you recovered... and was so happy when I got to your first pizza post... and seeing how much you enjoy it and how much every penny is worth it... well done for sticking it out... thanks for sharing... I am in the all in panic mode now ... way above budget... anxiety hi... I will be referencing your build and others for those little details... aloha
      My build:: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...nch-wfo-hawaii

Comment

• Originally posted by Boogie-D View Post
        Aloha Mullster... I stayed up late reading your build last night and my heart sank for you, and for me when I got to the aftermath of your cast... I can feel you man.. you spend so much time and money you want it to come out killer... I was so glad you recovered... and was so happy when I got to your first pizza post... and seeing how much you enjoy it and how much every penny is worth it... well done for sticking it out... thanks for sharing... I am in the all in panic mode now ... way above budget... anxiety hi... I will be referencing your build and others for those little details... aloha
        Boogie-D Aloha - glad you enjoyed my tale! I’m really glad I found this forum - no way would I have built my oven like I did without it - it’s helped so much.

Loving the oven - used it even with snow on the ground over winter but looking forward to the better weather and sunny days and actually eating the food outside without countless blankets! I’ll check out your thread now.
        My cast oven build thread

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-castable-dome

Comment

• Pallet wood cladding

Well it’s taken a while - but I haven’t paid a penny for any pallets, although I will probably need to replace the broken hammer and mallet at some point that I broke smashing and prizing the pallets apart

Still got worktops to install around the oven - plus I want to board the final panel of the pergola behind the oven - but no rush!

Comment

• Thank you so much for posting such a detailed journey, it will be invaluable for me.

Do you possibly have a complete list of the quantity of items used for the oven itself (base excluded)?

Trying to workout how much of everything i'll need roughly.

Comment

• Worktops!!

Finishing touches (although I keep thinking of more to do) applied recently - I finally managed to install the worktops around the oven.

This was hugely important to me because I’ve been frustrated by having to spend my time indoors prepping the pizza while everyone else was outside drinking and chatting! This way now I can bring everything outside and do all the prep and socialize all at the same time.

Carried on the theme of sparkly and black for the worktops and in the end went for standard laminate worktop. I did almost go for solid wood but decided the regular oiling probably just wasn’t going to happen. Plus I really like the contrast of the black with the wood.

Cutting the worktops to fit around the oven was daunting especially as I was doing it with a half decent jigsaw rather than a router but to be honest I’m chuffed with the result. I’ll be filling the gaps between worktop and oven soon enough - haven’t quite decided what to use for that - possibly some simple render and then paint over....

Anyway - thought you’d like to see the final result - pizza parties have become the norm here now - just can’t wait for summer and for the COVID restrictions to lift so we can cater for more hungry friends!

Comment

• Looking great!
                So did the laminate worktop come in that black and sparkle finish, or did you paint it yourself?
                My 70cm (28") build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...losure-belgium

Comment

• Originally posted by Kris S View Post
                  Looking great!
                  So did the laminate worktop come in that black and sparkle finish, or did you paint it yourself?
                  It came like that which was cool!

Comment

• Just finished reading your build start to finish. First off congratulations. Second, thank you for taking the time to provide a chronology of your project. I know how much work it is to put it altogether and share your highs and your lows as I did with my brick oven build in the Pompeii Oven Construction forum. The help we receive from everyone is amazing and priceless.

I came upon your thread as I am looking to do a castable oven for a mobile application. My pizza have been so well received in my community that I’ve been asked to bring the game to the local brewery. Your thread has been very valuable to me in this regard.

I do have one question: Do you, or anyone, think it is ok to make the Homebrew into more of a slurry, as in super wet and pourable so that it can be poured into a mold verses applied over the entire surface of the sand castle?

Thank you and continued success with your WFO cooking,
                    Mike V.
                    My Oven Build
                    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...mx?view=thread

Comment

• You should reach out to David S our casting expert. I do know of a couple cases where builders made some fiberglass forms and did a slurry type cast pour. One was Iron Pony (he thread may of disappeared when the Forum was hijacked a while back).
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

• Originally posted by modified9v View Post
                        Just finished reading your build start to finish. First off congratulations. Second, thank you for taking the time to provide a chronology of your project. I know how much work it is to put it altogether and share your highs and your lows as I did with my brick oven build in the Pompeii Oven Construction forum. The help we receive from everyone is amazing and priceless.

I came upon your thread as I am looking to do a castable oven for a mobile application. My pizza have been so well received in my community that I’ve been asked to bring the game to the local brewery. Your thread has been very valuable to me in this regard.

I do have one question: Do you, or anyone, think it is ok to make the Homebrew into more of a slurry, as in super wet and pourable so that it can be poured into a mold verses applied over the entire surface of the sand castle?

Thank you and continued success with your WFO cooking,
                        Mike V.
                        There are a couple of big problems with that idea. Firstly, adding more water to the brew adds more volume to the mix so when it dries it creates more shrinkage, resulting in a weaker casting that also may crack as it can't shrink away from the inner mould. The viscosity can be lowered by adding super plasticiser rather than extra water, however if too much is added it creates separation of the materials with the heavier stuff settling on the bottom and the finer material rising to the surface. Some experience with its use is required to get the addition just right.
                        The second problem with a lower viscosity mix is that it requires an inner and outer mould perhaps in several different pieces, as well as vibration to eliminate the air. This is the normal practice for casting in all kinds of materials, where multiple castings are made with the moulds being used many times. For a one off cast the work that this requires is just not worth all the extra effort. Experience in creating moulds is also highly desirable and it's doubtful that you could pull it off the first attempt.The material used for the moulds is also an important consideration as the casting process, especially with concretes, is particularly hard on the moulds. Don't even contemplate wooden moulds as they don't last more than a few castings before requiring repair or replacement. Fibreglass is better (that's what I use) but they also require maintenance and repair (about every dozen or so). Steel is the best material for moulding concretes, but the most difficult to fabricate.
                        By contrast the ball up consistency applied over a sand castle form to produce a one piece casting is both easy and cheap, with minimal labour required to get a pretty good result.
                        Last edited by david s; 07-22-2021, 07:54 PM.

Comment

• If you look carefully you will see a wire running from the arch around the gallery to hold it in place. I stand the arch off from the gallery with a piece of cardboard (removed in the pic) to maintain a small gap.As you've noted there is nothing holding the arch other than the mortar joint between the arch and the supporting slab apart from that wire. Take a closer look and you will see I cast eight wire ties embedded into the cast arch which then get tied into the outer shell. This system allows the inner parts of the oven to expand and contract freely inside the cooler decorative arch and outer shell.

Comment

• david s thanks for the detailed response. When I get ready to pull the trigger I’ll start a new thread in an effort not to hi-jack this one. This casting stuff is intriguing.
                            My Oven Build
                            https://community.fornobravo.com/for...mx?view=thread

Comment

• Originally posted by Mullster View Post
                              Flue fitting, blanket fitting, vermicrete (again) and mounting the oven front

Felt like a real big day today. Started by creating 3 tabs in the flue to bend back enabling the mounting onto the cast. Whilst grinding the tabs took only a few minutes, the bending and adjusting took a long time. Two main reasons for this - the cast is not perfectly uniform so each tab is sat on a slightly different height of cast. Secondly the grinding and bending is hard to get identical for all 3. I really didn’t mind this process it just took a while. Lifting the flue, checking with the spirit level, lifting down and adjusting, again and again

After that I moved onto trimming my insulation layer of vermicrete under the oven - it was still protruding beyond the firebrick floor in a couple of places and I wanted a nice edge for the blanket to sit against.

I bought the 50mm blanket and it was pretty easy to work with. The Stanley knife cut through it well and I cut triangles out from the top edge so it would sit around the dome nicely. Used every last scrap so not sure what I’ll do for my door (seen a lot of people using the scraps for that).

I decided to use some chicken wire across the flue gallery which was where I had most of my off cuts wedged together so it helped to keep everything in place. I also put a section across the top of the dome which again helped to keep everything ‘attached’ to each other in terms of the flaps of blanket.

Next it was time to mount the oven front - feels like there should have been trumpets playing at that point! I used wire threaded through the hoops I’d embedded in the front to secure the front against the oven, obviously sat on a layer of mortar.

Lastly I made a start on the vermicrete layer over the blanket. More to do but hoping I can finish with a couple of short evening sessions early this week.

Massive thank you again to everyone I’ve learnt from on this forum - You’ve given Me the confidence to hopefully, hopefully, have almost built a good oven.
                              How did you get the chicken wire to stay in place?
                              Where can I find logs? I need more!
                              Finishing the WFO will come after the barn is completed http://flinthousebarn.co.uk/

Comment

• Mullster Just finished reading this whole thread and learned so much. Thank you for posting such a detailed account. I'm currently in the planning stages of my build. Although i've been advised not to, im going to opt for the gym ball method. Was planning to reinforce the ball with paper mache and plaster of paris, wasn't sure if my idea would work until a few pages back David S suggested such a thing so now i feel a little more confident.

How has the Oven held up? Any issues with cracking or spalling at all?

Comment

Working...
                                X