No announcement yet.

Homebrew castable build, Newcastle UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floor is shaping up. Cutting the bricks with a bolster as these edges will not be seen. I've cut a wedge out of the underside of the front bricks to help reduce the amount of heat lost out the front. Will probably fill this void with dry vermiculite before casting.
    Attached Files

Comment

You have any scrap CaSi board that you to fill the wedge cavity? Maybe even a lean vcrete, 8-10 to 1. Dry V you need to be able to hold in place or even plug ends with so CaSi scraps
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Yeah I've got some CaSi scraps, plugging the ends sounds like a good plan thanks. I went off the idea of sculpting wedge shapes for the whole length, as the cuts are not perfect.

Comment

mesoiam This is really helpful to me to see these pictures - I had been struggling to see what people meant by the wedge shaped breaks at the vent/flue area.
          My cast oven build thread

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-castable-dome

Comment

Cheers, keep your photos coming too so I can copy!

Comment

How much further have you got with this? I'm very intrigued

Comment

Hello again, so I've been busy.
                I made a door mould by cutting a piece of wood from an old drawer and curving a piece of hardboard over it. It ended up very strong once it was tacked down.
                You can't see it here but there is an upright stick right in the middle of the dome to set the height (400mm radius),it has a screw head sticking out slightly so i can feel where it is when there's sand everywhere, the stick is just screwed to a small piece of plywood and then I built bricks around it to anchor it in place.
                I used bricks to take as much volume as possible but even with that it took much more sand than I expected to form the dome, needed another run to b&q as I didn't want to be short of sand for the actual casting. If I was doing this again I'd buy a dumpy bag rather than many many bags of sand.
                When I was marking out the oven floor I was beginning to think the oven was disappointingly small, but once I saw the mould in 3D it seemed quite big.
                I made a quarter circle guide to help shape the sand, just touch the top part to the aforementioned screw at the very top and then shimmy the sand out of the way until I can get the bottom part to touch the oven floor, worked well. The mould was then covered in wet newspaper, a squirty bottle of water was useful for this.The newpaper didn't want to stick to the sand as I imagined, but it sticks to itself readily, so I started by draping pieces over the top and working down from there.
                I then covered it in a wet bed sheet to keep it wet until casting day.
                For the casting I made the homebrew 3:1:1:1 (Sand, cement, lime, fireclay). I thought I'd list the ingredients for anyone reading as many posts mention the ratio and assume knowledge of the ingredients.
                I weighed out a test batch on the kitchen scales, 3 litre sand, 1 litre sand etc. I used this to estimate how much stainless steel needles (melt extract fibres) to add. It ended up being roughly 100ml of needles on this test batch to make 2.5% of the dry weight.
                I mixed up the batch and went to work, I was originally thinking I'd use a trowel because the stuff is filled with sharp bits of steel, but it's so claggy it's easier to just use hands with gloves. I did't get poked with needles in the end so that was fine.I cut a little piece of wood to set the thickness to 50mm, it ended up a little bit thicker than that but definitely no thinner.
                I continued with the same batch size the whole way through, probably could have been a bit faster otherwise, but seeing as it was working I didn't want to change it up, the stuff does go off fast. I should mention it was a nice cool day which I think is fortunate for the working time of the casting.
                I've got the day off specifically to make the chimney gallery so I best get to it.
                Thanks all for the interest and Utah and DavidS for the advice.

edit: I forgot to mention also added polypropylene fibres, one annoyance with these is that they all came clumped together and needed a few minutes to fluff them up and distribute them in the mix. They remind me of thistle seeds
                Last edited by mesoiam; 06-08-2020, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Work of art, that sand castle.... I am planning on doing the same with the quadrant template and post in the middle. Good luck with the gallery.... I am itching to get my dome cast, but vitcas delivery with all the stuff delayed - apparently Im not the only one building a pizza oven and they are short on stock!

Comment

Nice work, one of the nicer cast I have seen. Now you have to be realllllyyyy patient. You have a lot of water in your oven between the dense cast and vcrete, It is going to take several weeks to dry and even consider any type of cure fire.
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Nice pics!

As i will be undertaking my own castable, i would like to understand what is the reasoning behind casting the 'entrance, or gallery opening separately?

Can normal, dense bricks be laid here to form a curved archway?

Thanks

Comment

mesoiam I hope I can make somewhere near as good a job of it as you seem to have. The pictures are really useful again and help to visualize the casting stage.
                        I am thinking a cheap gazebo to keep the rain off might be a good investment!

Comment

Originally posted by Robarb View Post
                          Nice pics!

As i will be undertaking my own castable, i would like to understand what is the reasoning behind casting the 'entrance, or gallery opening separately?

Thanks
                          Robarb it could be worth checking my thread I think we had a fair bit of discussion about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Robarb View Post
                            Nice pics!

Thanks
                            Thanks for all the kind words folks. Robarb, check earlier in this thread, from post 12 onwards, there are comments from both Utahbeehiver and DavidS. Good luck!

Comment

Thank you very much for sharing! The build looks amazing, such a great job! I am seriously thinking about building something similar and I am learning a lot looking at this.
                              I hope you don't mind a newbie question... I really have no experience and need an explanation. So you have a vermiculite layer, then the insulation board with firebricks on top and the cast dome sits on top of the bricks. What do you have between these layers? Are these layers attached to each other with any type of mortar? Please explain! Thank you very much!

Comment

Looking great. Can I ask did you go for 50mm calcium silicate board?

Comment

Working...
                                X