Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy Homebrew questions

Hi all,
    My original post didn't work so Admin have advised me to post again....So.
    Hi all, I'm new here and just embarking on my first build. I have the base pored and just started on the block work today.
    I'm in Preston, Lancs in the UK
    I was going to do a vermiculite casting but having seen some posts about "homebrew" I have a few questions.
    Can anyone point me in the direction of the materials needed ?
    What is the casting technique ?
    Finally, what are the best fibres to use, I doubt I could find SS needles in a hurry.
    Many thanks and I look forward to your responses.

Hi Kenny,

Many of us started where you are a few weeks ago.

Totally forget the vermiculite option - do it properly with homebrew!

materials needed

Powdered fire clay (bathpotters)
    hydrated lime (builders merchants)
    cement (builders merchant)
    sand(builders merchant)
    hollow fibers (builder merchants)

have a look around, there are lots of detailed builds.
    it can be a drag reading many comments but it's the best way to learn if you're going todo one!

I won't name and "shame" but there are some very knowledgeable and experienced people on here, keep an eye out on whis commenting!

Fyi I'm a total newbie

Comment

Many thanks for the quick reply. I have some studying to do for sure !!

Comment

KennyR,

Thanks for reposting. I think that I was moderating your original first post while they were starting the patch to the forum. If you haven't already found them, there are several builds where david s has recommended the formula for homebrew. Some are in the same category Other Type Ovens as your op.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Try looking at this well documented build.

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...and#post396954

and this one.

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...sea#post400413

As you are in the UK also try looking at their forum ukwoodfiredoven.com especially for access to materials.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi.
            Thanks Gulf, it's no bother and thanks for letting me know. I did wonder why my thread was a bit like Tumbleweed until I saw you're message. Much appreciated.

David S. Many thanks for the links. It'll be a few days before I get started on the dome so I've now got a good place to start my research. Again, very much appreciated and thanks also for the link to the UK website.

Comment

Working...
            X