No announcement yet.

Record of my 32" Homebrew cast oven, on a brick base - West Midlands, UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming along nicely. I am not sure what your winter temps are where you are at but I did a embedded glass surface and our winters have a lot of freeze/thaw cycles and is really tough on the mix media concrete/glass so be sure to put on a good sealant. Mine was on a flat surface so you will not have standing moisture issue that I have but not the less a good sealant is suggested.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Nick, that looks very pretty! Do you just add the pieces of colored glass as a first layer in the arch form?

Also, do you think you could snap a picture of the gallery/vent area from a side? I am trying to figure out how to place insulation blanket on top of the gallery. It does not seem there is enough space for as much insulation as around the dome. Thank you!

Comment

Side view as requested....
        yes, glass scattered in bottom of form work, then concrete added.
        winters mild here UtahBeehiver but will seal it.

Comment

Nick, thank you! Are you planning to insulate the gallery with a blanket? If you add a thick blanket over the gallery will you be able to bring the outer render to the arch/vent? I have to be patient and wait to see how it is done. I hope you will post pictures of the oven with insulation prior to covering it up. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick J C View Post
            Polishing concrete to expose embedded glass, and testing the fit....Will lie a few mm from the oven to heat break as per david s advice.
            Nice job, looks just like one of mine.

Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Got the granite cladding done to give the opportunity for the cast to cure. This way the rough edges get covered by the blanket and vermicrete which is the next job

Comment

And a few pics of the arch being made.... Glass scattered and the first half plain concrete with 10mm gravel... Second half with a handful of left over stainless needles and a bit of stainless rebar I had lying around for good measure

Comment

That's a pretty looking oven and it's not even finished yet! Good job!

Comment

2" ceramic blanket (2 1" layers) on dome. Lies down nicely without need for wire. 1" layer on gallery (less need for insulation here). Vermicrete going on..... Crumbly stuff so leaving it to cure for a bit before proceeding upwards..... Flue secured as per david s s advice

Comment

Vermicrete completed..... Not the easiest stuff to use as it doesn't hold together very well and is quite crumbly. Time to wait for a couple of weeks before thinking about curing fires

Comment

Yeah, weird stuff but you did a great job. Now be patient and let it dry out properly. Between cast and vcrete there is a lot of water in the oven.
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Suggestions for filling the thermal break? I have a couple of commercial options from vitcas when I put my original order in, or some suggest just Vermicrete.....

Comment

Nick J C ive only just found your thread. Your work is unbelievably good. The pictures you’ve shared are fantastically helpful too. Your oven is going to be awesome I’m sure - you’ve taken so much care over the build.

The only thing I was a little unsure of and this may also be a question for david s is the choice to cast the flue gallery and the dome all in one piece. I’ve also studied those same posts and I thought the idea behind the separate flue gallery was to provide another expansion joint and prevent cracking?

Its probably my lack of knowledge because you seem to have done everything very deliberately.

Great job!
                            My cast oven build thread

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-castable-dome

Comment

Hi Mullster , I have certainly been taking an interest in your build too. There appear to be three possible reasons to make the gallery separate -

1) ease of removing the formwork (I seem to have managed this on mine okay with the formwork design covered in parcel tape, and raising the formwork slightly by about 8mm from the floor with battens - this allows it to drop down when you remove the battens.

2) thermal bridge between dome and gallery - technically the oven would lose heat most slowly when isolated from gallery, but this is apparently very marginal. As a compromise, I cut a wedge in the floor firebricks (see side view) between the dome and gallery - in a similar fashion to the Newcastle build.

3) cracking from differential expansion in areas with different temperatures - again this is somewhat theoretical in the views of the experts, and as we have seen in other recent builds, the separate gallery is inherently weaker than when formed into the main structure of the dome, and thus at risk of cracking anyway...... thus - I went for a single structure.

Good luck with your casting....

Comment

Great reply Nick J C makes sense - only trouble now is I have another design change to consider

My cast oven build thread

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-castable-dome

Comment

Working...
                                X