Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homebrew NE England. Help needed please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone advise what I shall do to fill this gap please? I originally thought about using terracotta tiles with fire cement, but maybe I could set them on some V.Crete?
    Or could I just fill it with V.Crete?

Comment

That area is going to get a lot of hard use...vcrete is not going to hold up. I'd consider a thin strip of an insulator to provide a little heat break/expansion joint and then laying down a homebrew layer to provide a solid landing/resting area for your peel or pot. Setting some decorative porcelain files would look good...but can be broken all too easily. Lots of options since it's not an area that will get pizza temps ...just needs to be durable.
      Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
      Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
      Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
      Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

SableSprings thank you for the reply. When you say an insulation layer, do you mean a small amount of V.crete?
        Also, could I use terracotta tiles on fire clay?

Comment

You can use a thin layer of vermicrete, some fiberglass flat line (used in fireplace doors), heat resistant silicone, or a piece of leftover insulation board. I'm sure there are other options as well (I've seen a piece of metal channel over a strip of ceramic batting and/or vermicrete), but you're simply looking for something that ideally can take a bit of heat & is somewhat of an insulated break & is durable & is a little flexible for expansion from the cooking floor extended bricks. Using terracotta tiles would work ok as long as they could be easily replaced if damaged. Doesn't tick all the "perfect option" boxes...but will work just fine for the oven.
          Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
          Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
          Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
          Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
          X