Brick Content Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brick Content Question...

So like many before me, I have been reading and reading so many of your builds and I now am ready to start my journey... I have decided on doing a HB castable dome because every time I see those of you that have done it... I say to myself "I can do that"... the brick domes are beyond my comfort zone.

I live in the northern part of the Philippines and real fire brick which I intend to use for the floor is mire than 6 hours away without lockdown and we are locked down within the province... at about 5 USD each.

I contacted a few so-called brick makers here in the province where I am allowed to travel and asked if they have fire brick... They say, "yes sir, we have lots available...' so I ask for the alumina and silica sand content and they say, "oh we don't use that kind of elements in our bricks" so I ask what do they use to make their bricks, they reply "its a combination of sandy and loam soil" they say nothing else is added... they say it will withstand "more or less 1000C". Total cost 15 pesos per 2x4x8 brick, that makes it about three bricks for a little less than one USD.

What would you do if you really wanted to get started but that was your only option for at least the next several months?

Thank you for your thoughts
    Rob

If I were in your position Rob, I’d be going for those cheap bricks, but lay them loose and cast the oven around them rather than on top of them. That way they can be easily removed if they prove to be unsuitable. The floor bricks should be dense/heavy with a pretty durable surface.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thank you so much Sir David, and my kids thank you too... our journey begins... thank you for sharing your knowledge through this forum... As you and others have helped so many, you all have given me the courage to do something that will be loved for years... I have already learned a lot and look forward to sharing my progress and experiences for future reference...

Comment

Thanks for the compliment Rob. Continuing on your theme, just as my disdain for bodybuilding, your oven’s performance is more important than its appearance. Once you start cooking in it you’ll be stepping off the grid, fossicking around for free timber and cooking and eating the most amazing foods.
        Dave
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks Dave... have been working on my slab and in doing that there was a couple of trees that I decided to cut down, so been busy with that too... the locals say it is a great cooking wood low smoke long burn, called a flame or flamboyant tree also a Pomelo tree... so I have been splitting and stacking as well... I will start a build thread as soon as I get started... thank you again for being so willing to share your knowledge...

Take care and keep safe...

Rob

Comment

Working...
          X