No announcement yet.

30" Cast Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I presume you going to penetrate that roof with the flue pipe? You will need a double flue to ensure the inner pipe is well away from any flammable material.

Also cultivate good relations with your neighbour as smoke issues and their resulting complaints have killed some WFO enthusiasts passions. All new ovens are pretty smoky until they're properly dry.

It's looking great.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi david s, hope your well mate and thanks for the reply. Aye the flue extension is coming today, I mismeasured how high the roof would actually be so a 5 inch extension peice has been ordered. The neighbours seem on board with it and said they don't care as long as there is pizza thrown their way!
      Just one on the render once the fires have finished, I've a ready mixed one coat render in bags, would this be OK to use? I read somewhere you add fibres? I've still a bag of fibres here from the homebrew stage so wouldn't be problem.

just can't wait to start the fires, but methodically!

Also I've read bits and bobs on the best logs for burning, has anyone had any experience with any particular log is better over another?

Cheers

Dave

Comment

You might as well throw in the fine polypropylene fibres, but for strength the thicker and longer AR fibreglass fibres are better. The fine fibres require more mixing than you'd think in order to disperse adequately.

The best wood is free wood, but never use treated timber.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

david s thanks again, I've ordered some AR fibres, just in case.

First fire yesterday, 1 newspaper sheet, a firlighter, handful of beads and about 6-7 tinder sticks, big event, next door neigbours and family round think they expected more than a wee 5 minute flame, but internally the oven has no cracks and all good on the outer. My friend brought his super expensive structural engineering thermal imaging camera round and reckon it got to around 230-250 degrees celcius at the top of the dome. Flue worked well and happy, just gutted my pristine smooth round grey internal is now black and carbon

Do most people use a normal thermometer when cooking or is it OK to presume once it clears at the top from smoke your ready to cook?

Also with doors, has anyone had any issues or pointers, I'm thinking a cement board backer with a moulded homebrew mix secured to it and some fire rope on the lip to ensure good contact and insulation?

Angain any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dave
          ​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210425_155359_resize_93.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	437441 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210425_160111_resize_8.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	437440 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210425_155227_resize_73.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	437439 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210425_155426_resize_84.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	437438 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210425_162005_resize_97.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	437437

Comment

Originally posted by Daveholdn View Post
            sergetania cheers, aye not too far off, just put up the pizza cover so going to start the 7 days of fires as suggested by david s in his previous posts. I've read your posts and the build looks amazing, did you render straight after the curing fires?
            Dave
            ​​​​​
            I have waited a couple of weeks before rendering to let the vcrete dry while also doing the curing fires. The vcrete has become gray, you could tell there's much less moisture in it.

Comment

Congrats on the first fire!

About your roof: are you planning on also closing the sides?
              The oven is well protected from above and the back now, so I guess your prevailing wind/rain direction does not come frome the front or sides?

Right now I'm leaning towards enclosing my oven completely because it's in the open exposed to wind and rain from all sides vs. yours which is already against a wall/fence.
              But I would love to keep some of the igloo shape as well...
              My 70cm (28") build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...losure-belgium

Comment

Daveholdn whatever it's worth I am very happy with the performance of my door that is simply cut from a sheet of stainless steel (probably ~1.5mm). Stainless steel does not conduct heat well at all. My plan was to start with a single layer and if needed add a second, possibly with insulation in between. I don't think I will. The door works fine as it is. The oven holds enough heat the next day for me.

Comment

Hi Kris S , good start on yours, it's coming together. I will put sides on, just wooden slats down to the tiled area so the dome is out of the elements, my mate is going to look at some sort of removable front door, I'll do this after I've rendered though so I have access.

Cheers sergetania , I'll have a look over your posts again at your door. I think the verm'te is dry due to the good weather we've had.

Comment

So 5th fire going well, small hairline cracks here and there but nothing major to report thankfully. In terms of fires can I ask everyone how people are setting up their fire? I've managed to get kiln dried oak for a few favours so going to try those, but in terms of setting the fire, are people doing the criss Cross method with kindling and then adding logs once the fire is going? And I take it the charcoal is only added for the curing fires or are people using it to get the fire going also when cooking pizza?

Any advice again greatly appreciated, cheers.

Dave Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210427_180259_resize_12.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	437509 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210427_180252_resize_25.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	437510

Comment

Two not-too-small logs parallel to each other on the entrance floor, crumpled paper and kindlings in between (a small fire starter here won't hurt either), then two small logs perpendicular to the first two on top of them, then another layer perpendicular again (like building a log cabin), the size of logs increasing. Build it as high as you can, push into the oven and, if you have room, add another layer of big logs on top, two or three. Fire, make sure it does not die down. Pretty simple. This is for only when your oven is cured, fast and hot.

Comment

Do a search for "top down fire". It is the only method I use (since I read about it here) as you can light it and walk away for a short time instead of having to stand by and feed the flames till it gets going. You will see some examples of really large top down stacks but I usually keep the pieces at the bottom around 2" round or square and progressively smaller on top.
                        My build thread
                        https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Thanks sergetania and JRPizza, super informative and I'll get on that after the last curing fire. The 6th fire last night saw damp patches over the top of the dome and what I thought was smoke coming through, I thought the dome has cracked but turned out it was actually steam!
                          With regard to the door, I take it the door is only used to retain the heat of the oven once your finished cooking pizza?

Cheers again

​​​​​​​Dave

Comment

If you you see steam, you are heating too hot too fast. David S suggest placing a piece of plastic over the oven dome and watch for condensation this indicates that there is still water in the dome.
                            Russell
                            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Re door - you are right if you are thinking of high temp cooking like pizza, grilling, etc. However, cooking at lower temps requires a door whether you want to bake or slow roast a leg of lamb or a pork shoulder.

Just be careful - don't fully close the oven with live fire and then open it a few minutes later. It may backdraft.

Comment

Cheers UtahBeehiver ,ive reduced the heat and being a little more consistent, paying off as less and less condensation, no steam. Managed some cheese and toast, amazing to see the fruits of your labour. Cheers sergetania, making the door this week at some point.

In regards to tools, I've ordered a wooden peel and think I also need a metal turning peel and rake? Anyone else use anything they feel they can't live without?

Cheers again

​​​​​​​Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X