Dilemma with cast oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dilemma with cast oven

First of all a thank you to everyone for sharing their builds and amazing knowledge and experience. I have been reading these forums for over two years and recently joined when I had the courage to actually make a start with my oven. I had hoped that I had done enough research to see me through my build but I currently have a little dilemma. Sorry for the mix in imperial / metric, I'm a Brit living in Europe.

At my current build stage, I have a nice brick stand, 1m wide (39.3in) by 1.2m deep (47.2). I have a 3 in table top reinforced concrete slab, covered with 5in pcrete. The concrete and the pcrete sit flush with the top layer of brick so the insulated top is 70cm x 90cm (27in x 35in). Firebricks are bought but not yet cut, they will sit on the pcrete. The pcrete has had two weeks drying so I am close to starting my sandcastle.

I am now concerned that my oven may not quite be big enough as I will lose quite a bit of the insulated table top with the cast and insulation. I will do 2in homebrew, 2in blanket, 5in pcrete.

I plan to do the inner homebrew layer on the firebricks but the blanket and pcrete will start over the bricks of the base. The bricks are old reclaimed solid clay bricks, 15cm wide.

So, what do people think, should I extend my pcrete slab onto the bricks to get some extra space, or have the homebrew layer over the old clay bricks so the internal dimension is 27in, or keep the oven on the small side. I read with interest David S view on size so I don't have any problem with a smaller over. It's for pizza and bread, small family.

Well, I decided to take the plunge and extend the pcrete slightly onto the solid clay brings that form the stand. Only 3/4in in places, and the main internal oven area has all firebricks underneath then 5in of pcrete.

Comment

Originally posted by ctid1001 View Post
      First of all a thank you to everyone for sharing their builds and amazing knowledge and experience. I have been reading these forums for over two years and recently joined when I had the courage to actually make a start with my oven. I had hoped that I had done enough research to see me through my build but I currently have a little dilemma. Sorry for the mix in imperial / metric, I'm a Brit living in Europe.

At my current build stage, I have a nice brick stand, 1m wide (39.3in) by 1.2m deep (47.2). I have a 3 in table top reinforced concrete slab, covered with 5in pcrete. The concrete and the pcrete sit flush with the top layer of brick so the insulated top is 70cm x 90cm (27in x 35in). Firebricks are bought but not yet cut, they will sit on the pcrete. The pcrete has had two weeks drying so I am close to starting my sandcastle.

I am now concerned that my oven may not quite be big enough as I will lose quite a bit of the insulated table top with the cast and insulation. I will do 2in homebrew, 2in blanket, 5in pcrete.

I plan to do the inner homebrew layer on the firebricks but the blanket and pcrete will start over the bricks of the base. The bricks are old reclaimed solid clay bricks, 15cm wide.

So, what do people think, should I extend my pcrete slab onto the bricks to get some extra space, or have the homebrew layer over the old clay bricks so the internal dimension is 27in, or keep the oven on the small side. I read with interest David S view on size so I don't have any problem with a smaller over. It's for pizza and bread, small family.
      You just don't want to run out of space. Usually the dome with all its layers ends up being wider than you've planned.
      Last edited by david s; 07-20-2020, 07:24 PM.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
      X