No announcement yet.

Hello from PEI, Canada - my 26" Castoven project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are having a nice November warm spell here, so I am quickly adding up the layers of hand formed concrete to make the faux rock shell around my oven. I did light a small fire in it, and I noticed steam coming through the aircrete, so I decided to embed some steam vents in the top of the outer shell, so that pressure will not build up and crack the shell (not sure if that could happen, but I thought it wouldn't hurt)

Comment

The color really changes as it sets, it has been a bit of a challenge figuring out what will match the natural surroundings, but it's looking better and better as it dries. Another beautiful day today, I should be able to seal up the last of the "skull" today then set my sights on the landscaping around. I will let the concrete shell cure for at least 4 days before lighting it up again, want it to cure slow.

Comment

Looks great! Really neat to have it looking like a rock. I’m going to have to look into a foam generator. Next time I get to pei, I’m coming for pizza, lol

Comment

Check out this thread for foamcrete

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...909#post257909
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by SusQ View Post
            We are having a nice November warm spell here, so I am quickly adding up the layers of hand formed concrete to make the faux rock shell around my oven. I did light a small fire in it, and I noticed steam coming through the aircrete, so I decided to embed some steam vents in the top of the outer shell, so that pressure will not build up and crack the shell (not sure if that could happen, but I thought it wouldn't hurt)
            If you see visible steam then you are going at it too hard and you risk steam spalling, back off.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I need to get an infrared thermometer so I can follow the proper ramp up in temperature, I won’t burn again until I get one

Comment

Well, I got it 99% done before the winter sets in, the first full temp fire worked amazing, floor reached 650F after an hour, maintained heat for hours after, it was raining outside that night, the outside stayed so cool the rain didn't even evaporate, so I consider that a win. No cracks, finished the landscaping for the most part, looks great from the house, blends right into the beach rocks. It was a ton of work, but we are super happy with the result. Can't wait for spring for our first WFO party!! Just a little rock work to do around base and bench

Comment

View from our deck... blends in nicely... and me, the happy WFO builder/owner

Comment

Originally posted by SusQ View Post
                    Well, I got it 99% done before the winter sets in, the first full temp fire worked amazing, floor reached 650F after an hour, maintained heat for hours after, it was raining outside that night, the outside stayed so cool the rain didn't even evaporate, so I consider that a win. No cracks, finished the landscaping for the most part, looks great from the house, blends right into the beach rocks. It was a ton of work, but we are super happy with the result. Can't wait for spring for our first WFO party!! Just a little rock work to do around base and bench
                    That looks great! It sure fits into the local landscape well. Well done!
                    My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
                    My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Very, very nice!
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
                      X