Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kris S
    replied
    I also want to try my hand at making an andiron like this.

Can I Just bend a few pieces of rebar and weld them together? Would that hold up for a couple of years?

Click image for larger version

Name:	andiron.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	454034

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Originally posted by Kris S View Post
    Yep, that's the kind of design I have in mind.
    Gonna take a bit of time to drill ~30 holes.
    My first one had no holes as it was a prototype, but as I was getting them laser cut I decided to add the holes to allow some heat through and some air in. It’s the same principle as a kiln bag wall to protect wares from direct flame impingement.
    Last edited by david s; 06-08-2023, 01:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kris S
    replied
    Yep, that's the kind of design I have in mind.
    Gonna take a bit of time to drill ~30 holes.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    This is my solution. 95 x 95 x 295 x 0.90 mm Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0585.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	453772 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0581.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	453773
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Kris S
    replied
    Thanks Giovanni and David; stainless steel it will be then, I've got some lying around anyway!

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    I’ve been using one for years. I first made one from 0.5mm stainless. It did warp badly from the heat, but still worked ok. I’ve now redesigned it in 0.9mm and with some holes through the vertical side to allow air and some heat to pass through, but it allows the cook to clear the floor right up against it which maximises floor area.

Leave a comment:

• Giovanni Rossi
    replied
    I am planning to use stainless steel. I believe it will hold up better. I would also have concerns about subjecting aluminum to the prolonged high temps as far as food safety. We used to cook stuff wrapped in Al foil in the campfire all the time. From my reading over the years it probably isn't the best idea. Maybe others here have a better grasp of the science and can recommend a certain type of Al if you want to go that way.

Leave a comment:

• Kris S
    replied
    Quick question: I want to make some sort of heat deflector to put next to the fire to keep the food facing the fire from burning.

Can I use aluminum for this? Can it withstand the temperatures next to a hot fire? Is it a sane choice food-safety wise?

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    That's a beautiful build.

Leave a comment:

• Kris S
    replied
    Originally posted by bnew17 View Post
    Awesome build. I really enjoyed reading through your progression. I hope to make an oven at some point and hope it turns out half as good as yours!

Thanks! I'm glad you found it useful.
    I decided to document my build too, because without other people's build stories I would undoubtedly have made some errors along the way!

Leave a comment:

• bnew17
    replied
    Awesome build. I really enjoyed reading through your progression. I hope to make an oven at some point and hope it turns out half as good as yours!

Leave a comment:

• AndreasP
    replied
    Looks great. It should be easy to clean with a pressure washer once the weather gets better

Leave a comment:

• Kris S
    replied
    Originally posted by AndreasP View Post

I always wanted to try and cast a concrete countertop, have you considered that?
    My current BBQ island countertop is tiled and keeping the grout clean is a real pain.
    Hi, I went with the poured concrete countertop. Here it is now in rainy weather, so yeah, there already moss growing on top of it, impossible to keep superclean.
    I don't really mind and I just put some tablecloth over it when in use. might still tile it in the future when I stumble onto something nice but i can imagine the difficulty in keeping the grout clean!

I also finally got around to painting the whole thing (apart from the tabletop) and replaced the wooden board trims below the roof edges at the side with some leftover slate ones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221230_102428.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	451474

Leave a comment:

• Kris S
    replied
    Originally posted by Warhorn6 View Post
    Looks good from here (California). How's the oven holding up?
    Hi, it's holding up fine.

Had some time over the holidays and cooked some more sourdough breads, osso bucco and Irish beef stew, all from one firing.

The cracks inside the dome are there to stay, but don't seem to grow anymore...

Leave a comment:

• AndreasP
    replied
    Originally posted by Kris S View Post
    Short update:
    • started work on adding a prep table, I'd love to add a 1" granite table top but it would cost me as much or even more than the whole project combined up to now. So I'll probably just cast a top and tile it or something.
    I always wanted to try and cast a concrete countertop, have you considered that?
    My current BBQ island countertop is tiled and keeping the grout clean is a real pain.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X