Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warhorn6
    replied
    Looks good from here (California). How's the oven holding up?

Leave a comment:

• Kris S
    replied
    Yep, that's the plan, but will be a project for next year, too much other stuff to do around the house this year

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    It all came out very nice! Are you going to add any pavers (or similar) to make an area to stand on while firing and cooking? I can see that nice grass getting trampled/muddy in the wet season.

Leave a comment:

• Kris S
    replied
    Short update:
    • started work on adding a prep table, I'd love to add a 1" granite table top but it would cost me as much or even more than the whole project combined up to now. So I'll probably just cast a top and tile it or something.
    • finally repleced the makeshift uninsulated aluminum oven door with an insulated one. Thanks to Kvanbael for kindly giving me his leftover Calsil, and providing insight on how to make it !
    • applied a cement render over the concrete blocks of bottom half of the oven, still needs paint, but need to finish the table first.

next weekend we'll have another pizza party!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220508_174745.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	987.5 KB
ID:	446447 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220508_174755.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	446448 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220508_174808.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	620.9 KB
ID:	446449
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Kvanbael
    replied
    Yes, I do.

In case PM fails (I've had lost messages in the past), you can find me at <same first name as you>.vanbael@tele<you know what goes here>.be

Leave a comment:

• Kris S
    replied
    Originally posted by Kvanbael View Post
    If you want a leftover piece of calSil board, and don’t mind the drive to St-Laureins….

that’s what I used for my door.
    That would be great! Do you still have a +/- semi circular piece 48cm wide at the bottom and 22cm high left over?

I think I should have time to make a trip to St-Laureins somewhere between christmas and new year, I'll PM you.

Leave a comment:

• Kvanbael
    replied
    If you want a leftover piece of calSil board, and don’t mind the drive to St-Laureins….

that’s what I used for my door.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    I use a high temp silicone (Permatex Ultra Copper) to stand off the insulating panel from the timber faced door. This reduces/ eliminates heat by conduction so they are not touching. Apart from the adhesive effect of the silicone, the insulating panel is held on to the timber by 4 3/16” 316 stainless bolts washers and nuts. The smaller diameter bolts don’t conduct much heat. Have made many of these with great success.

Leave a comment:

• AndreasP
    replied
    I just bought Rutland 500 degree RTV high heat silicone. I am planning on using it to seal around a flange i will use around my double wall chimney. It is rated to 500F, might work for what you are planning.

Leave a comment:

• Kris S
    replied
    Silicone you say... so that will act as a glue and hold it together?
    ok iŽll look into that.

Leave a comment:

• fox
    replied
    Hight temp silicone is good for 270c that is what I use it works very well as long as it does not get exposed to a naked flame.

Leave a comment:

• Kris S
    replied
    It seems a little more difficult to source a heat resistent glue.

Can I just use an all purpose construction type of glue like this that should withstand 90°C / 200K

How hot could the back of a +/- 5cm / 2" hebel block glued to the multiplex board become? any idea anyone?

what is the issue with using bolts and nuts to fix it instead of glue? would the metal transfer too much heat to the wood causing it to smolder and burn? expansion issues?

thanks in advance.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 12-10-2021, 07:22 AM. Reason: removed commercial link

Leave a comment:

• fox
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	A950B6DA-E489-4AD2-86AD-6846A58CA07C.jpeg
Views:	567
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	443512 Click image for larger version

Name:	D551F3BA-8499-492C-83F6-D234CEF03ABE.jpeg
Views:	466
Size:	488.7 KB
ID:	443513
    Vermiculite board, is a common product very often found inside modern wood burning stoves, it comes in lots of sizes from brick size to large sheets.
    I use it to line the back of steel wood oven doors and for lining the rocket stoves I build.
    Basically a mass produced sheet form of high temperature board made from crushed vermiculite, fire clay and waterglass, good for 1000c but not very abrasive resistant but stronger than diy V crete .
    Last edited by fox; 12-06-2021, 07:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kris S
    replied
    Yes, I was planning on doing something similar: using heat resistant glue to attach either a shaped piece of hebel block or a poured piece of P/V-crete to a multiplex board. (saw an example of this somewhere on the forum) and then over the multiplex I can finish with some nicer pieces of wood and a handle.
    And protect the bottom with a corner piece of metal to keep the wood part of the hot entry floor.
    I don't know what a vermiculite board is, probably some commercially precast boards?

Leave a comment:

• fox
    replied
    You could just glue some vermiculite board to the inside of your aluminium door.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X