Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AndreasP
    replied
    CoastalPizza , thanks for the reassuring comment. Yes, I am planning on using some form of venting system. I am only planning a vent at the top of the dome. I looked at your build thread. Did you simply install the second vent so that it opens into the gallery of the oven below the chimney? Are you plugging the vents when you are not using the oven to avoid moisture from entering the insulation?
    We are fairly close to the ocean and often have 99% humidity in the early morning.

Leave a comment:

• CoastalPizza
    replied
    Very nice. You are using almost the same insulation sequence as I did on my cast oven. Once cured, the outside of my oven stabilizes at ~100°F when the inside is ~900°F for pizza. A breather valve at the top of the dome (I used a crankcase breather cap) plus a horizontal vent that exits into the chimney to provide water vapor escape paths when the oven is fired.

Leave a comment:

• AndreasP
    replied
    Made some more progress today. I was able to cut all of the insulation. Cutting the bricks next weekend and hopefully casting the dome.
    Last edited by AndreasP; 10-18-2021, 04:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• AndreasP
    replied
    Finally have all the material and am trying to figure out how to make sure moisture does not get into the insulation. Attached is what I am planning. Any feedback is appreciated.

Floor:
    • 3/8" ceramic tiles, just because it adds a bit more space below the Foamglass and lifts it up a bit. I can live with a bit more height
    • 2" Foamglass
    • 2" CalSil
    • 2 1/2" Firebrick
    I am planning on having the Foamglass extend as far out as possible, so that it can keep everything off the damp concrete. My concrete pad is directly on the ground in a hillside

Finishing around the oven
    • I am planning on casting a concrete countertop at some point. It will integrate the area around the oven with my outdoor kitchen. I wanted to make sure the top of the countertop is below the top of the foamglass, so that any water that may get through the render stays below the CalSil. I only have a 3/8" height difference in the below design. I am considering making a thinner countertop around the oven, but then I would have a transition of let's say 1/2" or so between the outdoor kitchen and the area around the pizza oven
    • Alternatively I could pour a bit more concrete where the oven goes (or use two layers of 3/8" tile) to lift it a bit more, but that seems to be a lot of effort for possibly not much gain.
      Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Dome:
    I think the dome is pretty standard. As I have mentioned before, I have very limited space, so I will try to use all the Ceramic Blanket I have (3") and only use 1" of Vcrete to recover to the rounded shape. I will see how it goes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	insulation details marked up.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	442374

Leave a comment:

• AndreasP
    replied
    Yes, I will pick the best bricks, probably for the front and center and pick the others for around the edge and to be cut.
    i just got my bricks. Initially i picked the HC Music, but they are low duty (21% Alumina) and their sides are rather wavy.
    I found Smithfield Unbranded Med Duty (30.8% Alumina) still low duty according to Forno Bravo Brick Primer, but that's the best I can find. And, the sides are super straight.
    Also found vermiculite, A3 grade. Should be all set for material, just waiting for the Foam Glass to be delivered.
    Last edited by AndreasP; 10-06-2021, 07:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kris S
    replied
    Originally posted by AndreasP View Post
    Gulf , Of course, you are absolutely correct, not sure how what i was thinking.

I updated the layout (more so that I know how many bricks to buy).

If I counted correctly the left layout requires one less brick (31 bricks, not that it matters) vs. the one on the right, because I can cheat a bit using a cutoff for the bottom left most brick technically not quite in the pattern.

I still think I will go with the one to the right. I kind of like the look at the entrance a bit better I think.
    I went with the one on the left, no real reason, don't think it will matter much. I also tried to put the nicest bricks in front and the lesser ones at the back for aesthetics, but really once your oven is functional you will never look at the bricks again, so just go with your gut feeling

Leave a comment:

• AndreasP
    replied
    No problem, I am super happy with all the feedback I have received here. It will hopefully keep me from making too many mistakes and will result in a better oven.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    I see, those entry floor bricks look like they were arch bricks.

Leave a comment:

• AndreasP
    replied
    I will of course cut the bricks to a shape closer to the cast dome than shown on the drawing

Leave a comment:

• AndreasP
    replied
    UtahBeehiver , not sure what you are referring to. The left most (straight) bricks are the floor for the gallery. I should center them so that it looks symmetrical but would then have to cut two bricks instead of one.
    I am doing a cast dome, so there is no arch other than the decorative arch.
    Sorry if I misunderstood. I certainly appreciate any feedback.

I have attached an updated drawing. Any comments?

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    The arch appears to not be centered. The top side is over farther than the bottom side. FYI, the inner arch needs to intersect the ID of the dome at the first course.

Leave a comment:

• AndreasP
    replied
    Thanks JR, that's what I was thinking as well. I think that's the way I will go

BTW, Love your build thread, very detailed

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    I did something like what you are showing on the right, where the bricks closest to the entrance were full length along one side and only a small wedge was cut off. Not sure it matters but not having small wedges right at the transition seemed to be more stable.

Leave a comment:

• AndreasP
    replied
    Gulf , Of course, you are absolutely correct, not sure how what i was thinking.

I updated the layout (more so that I know how many bricks to buy).

If I counted correctly the left layout requires one less brick (31 bricks, not that it matters) vs. the one on the right, because I can cheat a bit using a cutoff for the bottom left most brick technically not quite in the pattern.

I still think I will go with the one to the right. I kind of like the look at the entrance a bit better I think.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    Both will work. You’re call. However, neither pic is an actual herringbone pattern. But, the diagonal lay serves the same purpose.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X