Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• david s
    replied
    If it falls under the building code it is illegal in most places to have a single wall penetrating a ceiling or roof.

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Keep in mind if you ever plan on enclosing the oven at all a double wall needs minimal clearance to combustible material where as a single wall needs a lot more clearance to combustibles. Now this may not apply to your build but I just felt others should know that a single wall flue is not an accepted practice for enclosures since it needs 18" of clearance to combustibles where as double wall is only 2" clearance.

Ricky

Leave a comment:

• fox
    replied
    You dont have to use a double wall insulated chimney but that is what I fit to all my ovens, an insulated chimney will encourage maximum draw but a standard 6” flue will work ok.
    I would make the gallery as short as possible and the chimney diameter is often the governing factor.

Leave a comment:

• Matts
    replied
    I made a bit more progress on the base, now trying to decide how deep to make the gallery, one full brick feels about right, and is easiest to do.

Thanks for your comment fox, I had not thought about insulated flues, 6” insulated is going to be really big bit if that is what it needs I’ll work out how to fit it in.

Leave a comment:

• fox
    replied
    Those vitcas flues are only 100mm (4”j you can get away with 5” on a 32 but an insulated 6” would be a lot better.

Leave a comment:

• Matts
    replied
    I’m sure it will move a little over time but I’m happy to take that risk to avoid using too much concrete. I thought about using the more traditional concrete, blocks and more concrete but I prefer the look of oak and I keen to avoid too much concrete.

So far it’s all pegged, nothing more than oak and linseed oil to finish, that will change when I get the lintels and base in.

I do have a few questions that I have not been able to answer by reading the back catalog of builds on here:

I have a few bags of NHL5 lime left over from a floor we laid, is this ok for the home brew mix or do I need the hydrated lime you get from normal builders merchants?

How essential is a 6” flue on a 32” oven? Can I get away with 5”? The reason I ask is there is a good looking on sold by vitcas which looks ready made for an oven.

thanks
    matt
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 03-14-2022, 07:04 PM. Reason: removed commercial link

Leave a comment:

• Hamilton
    replied
    Really cool.
    Is the base bolted together or pinned with wooden pins?

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Wood base do have a tendency to move and expand but that said I got to give you an A plus for your skills in timber wood craft. That is some nice joint work you have there.

PS - Nick JC from the UK did a very nice cast oven with an overhead roof. His thread my help you with materials and construction. Also, David S is our resident cast expert for reach out to him for details questions.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 03-12-2022, 08:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Matts
    replied
    Here is the base going up, I enjoyed a good few winter evenings chipping away in the garage making this. Eventually we will have worktops on both side of the oven too.

Leave a comment:

• Matts
    started a topic Home brew oven on an oak base - Warwickshire UK

Home brew oven on an oak base - Warwickshire UK

Hi, I have been lurking here for a couple of years quietly planning my oven and am finally getting started so I thought it about time to share my build.

Most of my inspiration and ideas have come from here so thanks all for sharing your builds and knowledge.

My plan is for a 800mm (32in) is oven made from home brew castable, with ceramic blanket, vermiculite/pearlite and then render.

Not decided on the final finish, I like the look of the broken colourful tile finishes and will most likely build a small roof for the oven.

For the base I have some 63mm fire bricks which will sit on a ceramic fibre board, I am building the stand out of oak and using concrete lintels to support the base.

I have been wanting to build an oven for years but have always had other priorities, renovating our old house, garden and now two kids. It’s great to finally get started on the project although I suspect progress will be slow, I will try to post a few pics of the base so far.
Working...
X