Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minne"snow"ta castable build....... I think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This will affect the performance of the oven. If you are spending the time and money to build a WFO do it correctly. It won't be "some" BTUs it could be significant. But I will let others chime in. We iterate often on the blog that the oven dome and floor need to be isolated from the concrete hearth. A possible option would be to pour a 5 to 1 p/vcrete ring around the base of the dome to insulate from the hearth.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
      This will affect the performance of the oven. If you are spending the time and money to build a WFO do it correctly. It won't be "some" BTUs it could be significant. But I will let others chime in. We iterate often on the blog that the oven dome and floor need to be isolated from the concrete hearth. A possible option would be to pour a 5 to 1 p/vcrete ring around the base of the dome to insulate from the hearth.
      Interesting. You are right, in that if i am spending all this time and money I want to do it right. A perlcrete ring wouldnt take too much effort. I just hate having to wait another 6/7mos to get back at it and start enjoying pizza. I need to see if someone has some form ideas that would allow me to construct in my house, then join together with refractory mortar.

Comment

I does mean you need to take the pcrete ring all the way into the floor brick or there will be a gap between the floor and the inside of the dome. There have been a couple builds where they build the dome inside a garage for assembly later. Be aware it will be very heavy unless you segment the dome. Go search on Other Type of Builds for the projects. David S is our cast expert and he should give you some insight on doing this.
        Russell

Comment

Americana I sent you a message about your form material.

Comment

I ended up being waylaid by a patio my wife wanted and built a mold in the basement. Casting the dome in 1/4 sections. Each mold is close to 200lbs and 3” thick, with mesh inside for reinforcement.

Me concern is that the weight of these would crush the perlcrete ring I would place under it. Thoughts?

Comment

5:1 is ok, 10: is not.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                5:1 is ok, 10: is not.
                I may go 4:1 for added strength. And the mix is straight Portland cement with perlite/vermicrete, or what else in the mix?

Comment

The more cement you add, the less insulating the casting will be. (see attached table for explanation).
                  Adding a little (a handful for every litre of cement in the mix) powdered clay helps to get the cement to cover the grains. But this is usually only required for a lean (10:1) brew. Too much water will wash the cement off the grains so adding the correct amount is vital. add water and mix gently in a barrow (not a mixer) until the water pools a little in the bottom of the barrow.Allow plenty of time for it to dry out before building over it. (See attached experiment)

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_83170 copy.jpg Views:	11 Size:	146.2 KB ID:	453313
                  Vermicrete insulating slab PDF.pdf
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by david s; 05-24-2023, 04:41 AM.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I’m working on my forms and plan to assemble outside in n a week or two. Regarding stove pipe and cap, anyone have good and cost effective recommendations? I’m guessing I need 7” or more in diameter and at least 36” high.

Comment

Look at the FB Pompeii plans and recommended chimney size based on diameter is posted.
                      Russell

Comment

UtahBeehiver Thanks. Seems my 38” is between an 8-10” ID. 10” just seems huge to me and will go with an 8”.

Comment

Finally had the forms completed. However, with each piece weighing 180-200lbs, it was a pain bringing them upstairs.

once in place on the pad, I’ll be closing the joints with Sairset.

Comment

Dry fit completed, filling the gaps with Sairset.

Comment

Working...
                            X