clay - brick oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clay - brick oven

hey folcs, im living in the amazon and i,m building my oven for backing bread an pizza, the point is that i dont want to spend a lot, buying the bricks is what i have to spend...
    so i build a strong wooden structure, and will do the base with clay, also the oven will be with clay and brick, dont like to use concrete...
    any expirience, what is a good mixture of the clay to give strength holding the bricks together, and dont crack?? any othe recomendations...

thanks... dan

Re: clay - brick oven

I'm new to the oven making business, but I have years of experience with adobe, which I assume you are referring to when you say clay. The clay content of soil varies widely and the strength of the bricks or cob is going to be dependent on the type of clay, the amount of clay, and the amount of other "stuff" in the soil you are using. Mix some clay and water and make a test brick. If it cracks add some straw or sand. Straw will add some insulation and make the brick lighter, sand will make the brick stronger in most cases. Either way shoot for the highest clay content that makes a brick that stays intact. For house building the brick needs to be strong enough to withstand a fall from waist level landing on a corner. For a stove I don't think you will need such a robust brick.

Comment

Re: clay - brick oven

the thing is, that i?m going to use firebricks, for the construction, but using adobe to get the bricks together, so is it wise to mix it with concrete or other stuff, so that it reraly sticks??

Comment

Working...
      X