another steel dome oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: another steel dome oven

You have obviously been thinking about this, sounds like you have it planned well... I love the Idea of painting it like a giant 8 ball.... Thats way cool, you could make your peel in the shape of a rack and use pool cues for the tool handles. I have a parking meter right next to my oven, The grandkids put quarters in it to keep the oven running... Nothin like backyard humor... (ok im a little warped)
    Mark

Comment

no work on the oven today, but we did have some pizza.

Comment

just wondering how hot that smoker gets up to?

Comment

without any insulation we can get the floor to about 600, but it drops pretty fast as soon as you rake the fire off. the "dome" holds at about 400.
          the heat from the side firebox helps add heat to the bottom of the bricks.
          it sure taste good though

Comment

here are the latest pics. we mixed 39, 60-lb bags to fill the hole for our support tube.

Comment

sounds like that thing isnt gonna move,,, good job

Comment

we set the bottom half of the ball on the pipe. just need to level it up and weld it on

Comment

hey metalmaster,,

Looks very cool,, how or where you planning your door ??

Mark

Comment

there have been a couple of design changes over the last couple of weeks.
                    we were unable to locate a propane tank for the inner dome, so we decided to go with fire bricks alone.
                    the next step is to pour the perlcrete layer for the floor, the plan is to fill the bottom of the ball with the perlcrete to just below the top and set the bricks flush with the top.
                    the door will be changed from an arch, to a flat opening for ease of fabrication.
                    right now it has about 8" of water in it

Comment

I get old propane tanks from the propane refilling station,, they let me have the ones that are no longer in service.. ((I make forges out of them)) One time I had to wrestle the scrap metal guy for it....

Have you tried them ???

Cheers
                      Mark

Comment

here are a couple of pics showing the pouring of the perlcrete.
                        it took about 36 cubic feet to fill the bottom of the ball.
                        we also poured the slab while we were there 55 60 lb bags.
                        I will be starting a new thread in the Pompeii oven section to post
                        further work on this project now that we have decided to give up on
                        the steel dome and switch to bricks.

Comment

have you considered casting a dome ?

Comment

there have been a couple of design changes over the last couple of weeks.
                            we were unable to locate a propane tank for the inner dome, so we decided to go with fire bricks alone.
                            You won't regret this decision. There's just something about a brick oven. It looks right, it cooks right, and it has the weight of tradition behind it.
                            the door will be changed from an arch, to a flat opening for ease of fabrication.
                            Building a brick arch may not be as difficult at you think. Once you start cutting your firebricks you'll see how easy to fabricate they are, as opposed to, say, thick steel plate.

Looking forward to seeing your progress: I think your sphere oven is going to look great.
                            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                              have you considered casting a dome ?
                              my dad was a mold maker for precast concrete, so we definitely considered it,
                              but we ended up going with the bricks

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                                You won't regret this decision. There's just something about a brick oven. It looks right, it cooks right, and it has the weight of tradition behind it.

Building a brick arch may not be as difficult at you think. Once you start cutting your firebricks you'll see how easy to fabricate they are, as opposed to, say, thick steel plate.

Looking forward to seeing your progress: I think your sphere oven is going to look great.
                                it would be to much trouble to install the top of the sphere using a brick
                                arch and vent. besides metal is what we do

Comment

Working...
                                X