another steel dome oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another steel dome oven

I was going to build a conventional oven, but since this large ball found it's
    way onto the property things have changed.
    the plan is to split the ball in half and construct a steel inner oven
    then weld the ball back together and fill with insulation.
    that's the plan anyway
    Last edited by metalmaster; 09-01-2009, 09:46 AM. Reason: added picture

Re: another steel dome oven

Great idea. Please keep us posted.

Comment

I bet that loop on top would come in handy moving the thing around. In theory you could make two domes from the same sphere.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

we where going to make two ovens out of this,but by using the ball we eliminate
        pouring a slab and building a concrete block base.
        the plan is to weld the ball on top of a 8" diameter pipe set in concrete

Comment

this is the basic idea for the oven so far.
          we are thinking about making the ball rotate on the base.

Comment

That is just TOO cool.I'm thinking a slightly larger diameter support would leave it looking less lollypop like, but I really like the idea. Maybe one of the truck rims you make your entry out of, split, and stretched with a length of pipe.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

well we cut the ball in two today.
              the inside is a little sad looking, but a wire brush will clean it right up

Comment

It doesn't look that bad for a mooring ball, did it come from the Sacramento River?

Bests,
                Wiley

Comment

I think it came out of someones yard that lived along the river.
                  the guy we got it from said it floated into his yard during the floods of 1986.
                  these are surplus bouys that where converted to well tanks, they are all over
                  the place around here.

Comment

sounds like a great idea.... Love the smoker you have in the background, Did you build that too ?

Comment

we are building the pizza "ball" at my mother in laws property (the compound).
                      the smoker was built by my brother in law, we have been cooking pizza in it.
                      the first picture is the ball mocked up to test the location, the last picture is
                      what we had for dinner last night

Comment

How are you going to fill the bottom of the ball ?? vermicrete ?? then lay fire brick on top ??

Comment

we are going to weld supports in the bottom of the ball and pour a 6" layer of perlcrete
                          before we lay the firebrick.

Comment

sounds like a cool project,, will you flip over the top to insulate it ?? and what plan do you have for a landing,, This is a very intriguing build,, keep the pics coming im sure we are all anxious to see it progressing

Comment

if you look at the cad drawing you can see that there is about a 9" distance
                              from the inner dome to the outer ball.
                              after we build the inner dome we will weld the outer ball back together, then cut
                              about a 14" dia hole in the top to pour loose perlite in.
                              when it is all done we are thinking about painting it like an 8 ball.
                              Last edited by metalmaster; 09-10-2009, 11:37 PM. Reason: double checked drawing for dimension

Comment

Working...
                              X