Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Cast Refractory Oven Build

Sounds great.
    I am heading to HD to order it, question is, it comes in 50lb bags how many bags you reckon it will take from your experience with it?

Comment

okay finished insulating.
      tomorrow I will begin curing fires again.

Comment

A warm dry day is great reason to think wfo. Joey my best guess is between 3 and 4 bags to cover your oven. It is a great product but does not seem to go very far per bag. Don't worry about having any left, you will always come up with a new use. Be sure to use rubber gloves as the cement will dry out your skin not to mention all the tiny fiberglass needles that help make the bonding stronger, This stuff is a great product - don't know why every hardware store does not keep it in stock.

Comment

hey joey,
          I used 4 bags and put 2 coats on my 40 inch dome and also put 2 coats on the base with the same 4 bags.. so 2,3,4 will be plenty, but like nan said you wil always find something to use it for,, great stuff...

Comment

whats the bad news on this coating$

Comment

i paid about 17.50 a bag i think.....not great,,, but not that bad
              Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 01-15-2010, 02:57 AM.

Comment

I also had to pay $17.00 per bag but I live in a very small town and get ripped off on every front. I don't think you can go wrong even with the price. I do know this stuff is water proof. While building houses we had a small spring that broke loose in the wine cellar. After one coat and over night we had no more water problems. Keep trucking, look forward to pictures.

Comment

Had small fires lit all day today. This baby is an attention getter. I had three neighbors and two sheriff officers stop by and ask me what I was building. I think I will take it back around to the back yard. Anyways, the perlcrete steamed very well and held together nicely. I will burn small fires tomorrow all day again. Gotta get more firewood.

Comment

Hey Joey,
                    Another good thing about the SBC is that I had a few spots that were not filled right,, Im trying to say my dome didnt look round,,,, you can build up a few layers of the stuff to get your shape where you want it....

cheers
                    mark

Comment

Yes, insulating concrete is difficult to get smooth. I definetely have a few low spots that will need to be filled in. The rain is going to hold me back from burning today. I have the trailer parked under the garage again.

Comment

Joey, Is there any up-date? I'm really interested in how this baby cooks! Also, what is your mileage charge? I think all of us who are still postponing our ovens would love to have you give a cooking demo. Nicky

Comment

Well today was supposed to be my first actual cooking fire but i used up all my firewood stock on curing fires and the batch i bought today wouldn't even start with a blowtorch...seriously, I tried a torch on it and this stuff was fireproof.
                          The rains haven't helped out much around here either.
                          With the curing fires I was able to get it up to 700f before I ran out of wood. It took about 1hr to get there. The outside was never hotter than warm to the touch. It stayed warm to the touch for about 4hr after the fire burned out without a door.

Comment

Did you get the inside of the dome completely white?
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

no. I was planning on building the scary fires yesterday but my new firewood let me down. At what temperatures does it reach "whiteness"? I have gotten the smokeless fires, where there is no smoke exhaust but just heat waves.

Comment

The carbon burn-off happens in stages with my oven: The top of the dome burns clean first, then downward: I sometimes cook at the stage where there's just a little rim of carbon around the bottom of the dome, instead of blasting it completely white. The temperature? I have no idea.

If you're not getting any carbon burn-off at all either your fires aren't big/long enough, or you're dome isn't completely dry.
                                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
                                X