tooooo cool.....

Comment

• Re: My Cast Refractory Oven Build

Joey well done! GREAT JOB! LET US KNOW HOW SHE FIRES UP

Comment

this is awesome!!!
        very nice, many congrats from GERMANY!!

ever thought of covering with small mosaic? I?ve seen an old VW-buggy in Arizona completely covered with pebbles..the bumpers were driftwood^^
        to me the last layer looks somehow "unfinished"...I think of 1" tiles or pebbles, broken tiles...

peace
        Last edited by bbq870; 03-19-2010, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Awesome fake tilework! I like the idea but I don't know if I have the artistic talent to pull off a way cool design like the frog you did...maybe flames??

Comment

flames would be awesome!! (and a lot easier than the frog)
            the frog was just an image I found online. but it shows the size and the shape of the broken tiles.
            the flame-story would ...R O C K ! ! !

advantage: you get (old) tiles from the junkyard, neighbour,.....break them into similar pieces and THERE YOU GO!!! you have your last layer for free!
            or
            you simply BUY tiles (the cheapest ones!) in your prefered COLOR(s)

Im a designer/builder and can not keep advise for myself. sorry
            I mean, theres so much DIY in this project that the last 2% will increase the style by ......800% (youknowhumsayin?)

2 more (constructive) benefits

- protection against rain
            - moisture-control (!)
            (between the tiles theres enough surface for lettig out moisture when firing the oven.
            I would be careful with too many paint sealing the outer surface. tiles are better, they let out the moisture, even from the insulation layer inside.

cheers

Comment

Howdy Joey,
              Do you have any updates on your oven? It looks awesome so far in the last picture, and like it would've come out fine. I'm planning to build an oven just like yours, except I want to build it in 4 parts to make transportation a little easier. Also, I'm using a fireclay mortar additive instead of Tex Kast, if you have any input/ideas about my materials/plan it would be a great help.
              -Omar

Comment

Hello!
                I don't have any information on the fireclay mortar stuff but I'm sure someone here has worked with it before. I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your build, it sounds interesting doing it in 4 parts.
                I recently acquired (freebies) a couple slabs of granite from a local countertop business and they are almost the perfect size. They don't match but I'm not too worried about it.
                I have to clean them up and cut and polish the one for the front.
                Last edited by JoeyVelderrain; 03-26-2010, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Got my granite cut and polished (for free!!! )

I'm thinking of buying a matching red piece for the front instead of the dark piece...

Comment

Joey, I was just wondering how the oven is cooking now that I'm sure it is fully cured?

Comment

It cooks great, It takes it about 1hr to get to cooking temperatures and i only have to keep one log burning to maintain it at a perfect heat. took e a while to figure out the sweet spot. We've had a couple parties and everyone enjoyed the pizza. I finally have my dough where I like it (hand kneading )
                      and now I am working on perfecting a sauce. I like the crushed tomatoes but my family is more traditional.
                      I also had to remove the front granite slab since it gets way hot and last party I ended up burning my forearm on it.

Comment

Dear Joey

I have just started planing my own cast oven (built a 36inch stonker in the garden last year) and have just found your page; MANY thanks for saving me loads of head scratching.

I am instaling a (hopefully) lightweight bombproof ref/steel fibre concrete low dome onto a purpose built trailer to trade at local events.

Will take some photo's soon and thanks again [cheers].

Shane Brown
                        Boston Lincolnshire
                        U.K.

Comment

Joey
                          When making your mold how did you get the luan to not break when bending?

Diane

Comment

Hi Joey, Oven looks great. Thank you for posting your build for everyone to see. Can you tell us how much you spent on the oven? Also, do you know what the final weight is?

Comment

Originally posted by djag12 View Post
                              Joey
                              When making your mold how did you get the luan to not break when bending?

Diane
                              Sorry to just now getting back here, I have been offshore for 24 days on this little BP thingy.
                              To bend the thin plywood I had to soak it and gradually apply pressure in the direction of the bend, let it dry, soak it again applied more pressure, rinse repeat...etc, it slowly got to where I needed it and stayed.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                                Dear Joey

I have just started planing my own cast oven (built a 36inch stonker in the garden last year) and have just found your page; MANY thanks for saving me loads of head scratching.

I am instaling a (hopefully) lightweight bombproof ref/steel fibre concrete low dome onto a purpose built trailer to trade at local events.

Will take some photo's soon and thanks again [cheers].

Shane Brown
                                Boston Lincolnshire
                                U.K.
                                Shane,
                                looking forward to watching your build!
                                good luck with it and if you need anything just ask.
                                Joey

Comment

Working...
                                X