My Cast Refractory Oven Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Cast Refractory Oven Build

An acrylic flexible product will fill those cracks in the outer shell. Don't worry too much about them the outer shell is only to hold everything together and to keep the weather out. A big part of your outer shell cracking problem is caused by the direct joining of the inner and outer shells. This is evidenced by the cracks in the outer shell where it joins at the corners of your arch, one is hot and expanding while the other is much cooler. You will probably have to live with the cracks in that position.
    Last edited by david s; 01-19-2014, 03:36 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
      How do you think those springs will take the weight? Good idea to put some shocks on.
      I did tell ya!
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyVelderrain View Post
        Any Ideas?
        How about a prep bench?

or maybe a substantial Esky (cooler) built into it somewhere?

I think a good goal would be to make it self contained - i.e. everything you need to use it can be carried on the trailer, wood, tools, maybe a fold up trestle table & chairs....A storage box for a market shade, cutlery, plates
        (who uses plates?)

A pizza party on wheels if you will...

*shrug*
        -------------------------------------------
        My 2nd Build:
        Is here

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
          I did tell ya!
          ha ha! you did, I remember.

I do like the pizza party on wheels idea Mitch.
          I have the little prep table on the back that folds down and covers the firewood storage area, I have a granite top for it that I lay on top of the plywood. but I do need more storage area so I'm pretty sure I'm going to lengthen the back part and make it accessible from both sides and the back.

Looking around at other pizza trailers for ideas.

Comment

Trying to decide between these two looks.

the diamond plate industrial look

or the classy smooth look

Comment

Option 2 is nice. #1 looks like a tool box.
              Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
              John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                true...still trying to figure out how they got that brown finish.

Comment

true...still trying to figure out how they got that brown finish.
                  When in doubt, there's always Google.....

http://www.copper.org/publications/p.../pdf/a1081.pdf

4 Ways to Darken Copper - wikiHow
                  Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                    Stonecutter,
                    Both statements are true,.......... but:

JoeyV,

You might want to think about who is your "target clientele", and what types of gatherings you will be selling pies. For a barrel vault design, you can't go wrong with diamond plate if you are trying to draw the attention of "rednecks", like me The more refined, (Like my wife for instance), would be drawn to the copper .

If you incorporate either finish in say, in an igloo, you are going to get the attention of both camps .
                    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                      Stonecutter,
                      Both statements are true,.......... but:

JoeyV,

You might want to think about who is your "target clientele", and what types of gatherings you will be selling pies. For a barrel vault design, you can't go wrong with diamond plate if you are trying to draw the attention of "rednecks", like me The more refined, (Like my wife for instance), would be drawn to the copper .

If you incorporate either finish in say, in an igloo, you are going to get the attention of both camps .
                      Yet another take...

Wood fired food will draw everyone and anyone, but the pull is from what is coming out of it, and that is what really matters.

Great food will trump any finish out there.
                      Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

ok, welp now I feel stoopid, didn't even realize that was copper.

Comment

JoeyVelderrain I am glad you came back to give us a long term update. I was wondering if casting the dome would stand the test of time. I just happened to get my hands on a full skid of castable AR134 so I am going to start my project next week!

Comment

Originally posted by Pat B. View Post
                            JoeyVelderrain I am glad you came back to give us a long term update. I was wondering if casting the dome would stand the test of time. I just happened to get my hands on a full skid of castable AR134 so I am going to start my project next week!
                            great! don't forget the pictures!!!

Comment

great! don't forget the pictures!!!
                              I will post pictures! I may try to put dividers in the casting so that it comes apart in 3 pieces. Any worries about doing this? The reason I want to do this is because I need to move this hulking mass to my cottage where the final installation will take place. My cottage can only be accessed by boat in the summertime. I figure it will be much easier to build the dome (in three 200 lb sections) in the warmth of my garage now and then bring it to camp by snowmobile while there is ice on the water. At least with the snowmobile I can bring it directly to the spot where I want to build the oven. The rest of the construction won't begin until the snow is gone in early April.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat B. View Post
                                I will post pictures! I may try to put dividers in the casting so that it comes apart in 3 pieces. Any worries about doing this? The reason I want to do this is because I need to move this hulking mass to my cottage where the final installation will take place. My cottage can only be accessed by boat in the summertime. I figure it will be much easier to build the dome (in three 200 lb sections) in the warmth of my garage now and then bring it to camp by snowmobile while there is ice on the water. At least with the snowmobile I can bring it directly to the spot where I want to build the oven. The rest of the construction won't begin until the snow is gone in early April.
                                nice! if I had to do it all over again I think I would go the way your thinking, I seen someone on here build theirs this way and it turned out pretty well...I can't remember who that was.
                                Or you could attach two snowboards to the bottom of the dome and tow it behind the snow machine!

Comment

Working...
                                X