My Cast Refractory Oven Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Cast Refractory Oven Build

that would be cool,,, you could take it to work and sell everybody lunch....

Comment

I want to be able to take it with me when we buy/build/rob our next home and finally get out of this rental.

Comment

great Idea joe...

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
          that would be cool,,, you could take it to work and sell everybody lunch....
          too funny!

Watching in anticipation!!!!
          Gayle

Comment

Great job dude!! Did u manage to seperate the dome from the walls? ... or did u just leave the cast as a whole?

Comment

Originally posted by three View Post
              Great job dude!! Did u manage to seperate the dome from the walls? ... or did u just leave the cast as a whole?
              I haven't tried to seperate them, I think it may not seal back up as good as it is right now. Imay have to though when I go to mount it on the trailer...

Comment

Joey, which product did you go with from Wesco? They've got a ton of them listed. I'm probably going to be casting a dome in the next couple of weeks, and $19/bag is half what I've seen everywhere else.
                Looking forward to seeing the completed pizza wagon you've got going there.

Comment

here is the info on the WESCO product I used.
                  Tex Kast C

the website says 75lb bags but it comes in 50lb bags.

Comment

a little more progress...tomorrow i will be pouring the base for my bricks.

I am shooting for a 46" top of hearth height. sound about right? I am 5'9" tall.

Comment

allright, I just removed the form boards for my refractory concrete insulating layer. I made it
                      2" thick. My bricks will go over this for my oven floor. I will let this base dry out a couple of days befre I set my bricks on top of it.
                      QUESTION:
                      should I mortar the bricks down or not?
                      I plan on welding a angle iron frame around the bricks so they will be in snug with or without the mortar.

(the little square tubings sticking up are coming off, they were there just to hold my form boards in place)

Last edited by JoeyVelderrain; 11-08-2009, 07:33 PM.

Comment

you do not need to mortar them down,, especially with the iron holding them in place, even if you get some that arent level, you can always grind or sand them down...

Cool Build

Mark

Comment

that is good top hear.
                          I tested the fit of the bricks to see how many would need to be cut and there is alot that will need to be cut, what is the best, non traditional way? (read=I don't own a wet cut tile saw and don't want to rent one...)

I also settled for a 36" floor height. I felt it would be ideal if I am sitting down checking on the pizza or fire.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyVelderrain View Post
                            what is the best, non traditional way?
                            An angle grinder, a bucket of water & a diamond blade.

Soak the brick in the bucket of water for a minute before you cut it.

too easy - but wear a mask.
                            -------------------------------------------
                            My 2nd Build:
                            Is here

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchamus View Post
                              An angle grinder, a bucket of water & a diamond blade.

Soak the brick in the bucket of water for a minute before you cut it.

too easy - but wear a mask.
                              cool, I have the grinder, have the mask and bucket but I need the diamond blade, shouldn't be a problem
                              thanks!

oh, I was thinking of going with the basketweave pattern, seems like the cuts would be easier rather than the herringbone pattern.

Comment

What kind of insulating concrete did you use for the underfloor? It seems like 2 inches might not give very much insulation unless it is of a very high r-value material, like the insblock or FB board people here are using. The perlite-concrete insulating mixture from the pompeii ebook is recommended for 4+ inches.
                                -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

Working...
                                X