Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Cast Refractory Oven Build

Originally posted by david s View Post
    Your door opening should be 63% of the internal height of the dome. This would mean that your opening is a little too low as presently designed. Interestingly 63% is very close to the Golden Ratio of 1:1.618 which I think is the ideal, however it wouldn't matter if you departed from this a little either higher or lower.
    Hi David
    What is the ratio of the door width with respect to the oven internal diameter, and what is the ratio of the dome internal height with respect to the internal diameter too?
    I had my oven poorly designed. So I decided to remove the oven dome and insulation while leaving the outside walls, and build a metal box shaped like the oven dome. The available space inside the outside decorative walls is a square with only 750 mm.
    Would you give me the maximum possible inside hearth diameter for my new metal dome, and the minimum thickness of the steel it is made of?
    I don't care about thermal momentum of the oven because it is an indoor one and I want it to heat up very quickly and use it for a maximum of a couple of hours and I'm done. So a steel one will match I think. Or will it?
    thanks
    Last edited by v12spirit; 02-01-2014, 10:57 PM.
    Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
    I forgot who said that.

Comment

After watching this video I've decided on copying this design for my oven overhaul,
      It's a good video but fast forward to 3:10 for the housing build if you like.

Comment

some progress pictures.

thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

Comment

Neat vid.
          The lathe should work ok.
          Still no shocks on the trailer.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by v12spirit View Post
            Hi David
            What is the ratio of the door width with respect to the oven internal diameter, and what is the ratio of the dome internal height with respect to the internal diameter too?
            I had my oven poorly designed. So I decided to remove the oven dome and insulation while leaving the outside walls, and build a metal box shaped like the oven dome. The available space inside the outside decorative walls is a square with only 750 mm.
            Would you give me the maximum possible inside hearth diameter for my new metal dome, and the minimum thickness of the steel it is made of?
            I don't care about thermal momentum of the oven because it is an indoor one and I want it to heat up very quickly and use it for a maximum of a couple of hours and I'm done. So a steel one will match I think. Or will it?
            thanks
            the door can be as wide or as narrow as you like. Narrow doors make the oven harder to work, wide doors lose more heat.

Normal all rounder is a hemisphere so internal height is half the diameter. Some ovens have lower internal height some higher.

Welding up a dome shape will be difficult a barrel much easier.

I've no experience with steel domes so can't say how thick it should be, but if no thermal mass is added then you won't be able to do any retained heat cooking. You will need to insulate it well, probably with 2" min. ceramic blanket.

Comment

Thanks David
              I have posted some photos of my plan. Any suggestions or comments are pleasurably welcomed.
              v12spirit
              Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
              I forgot who said that.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyVelderrain View Post
                some progress pictures.
                ---
                thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

I dig the oven and had a blast reading through this thread Joey, congrats! (but damn It makes me wish I would have learned how to weld). I'm actually looking at buying a MWFO for a side business for my wife and I. I'm sure you already know, but to buy a pre-fab'd version of what you built it's going to cost about $12-15k, so give yourself a big pat on the back .

Ok so my .02 on look... I don't think you can go wrong with a small Mediterranean tile. Go artsy with it dude, I know you mentioned a while back that you don't have "artistic skills" but I don't know if you need to with tile. Just make a simple pattern or something. Also, my only other suggestion would be to go with a darker color for around the hearth opining. The one thing that bothers me about that Fired Up Kitchens oven in the video you posted is seeing all the black soot stuck to the white tile.

Comment

Hi Joey,

How is your oven repair going... I really liked your project

Comment

• The cracks in the outer shell will be filled with an acrylic flexible product. Don't be too concerned about them; the outer shell serves only to keep everything together and the weather out. The direct joining of the inner and outer shells is responsible for a large portion of your outer shell cracking problem. The cracks in the outer shell where it joins at the corners of your arch demonstrate this; one is hot and expanding, while the other is much cooler. You'll have to put up with the cracks in that position.

Comment

• The cracks in the outer shell will be filled with an acrylic flexible product. Don't be too concerned about them; the outer shell serves only to keep everything together and the weather out. The direct joining of the inner and outer shells is responsible for a large portion of your outer shell cracking problem. The cracks in the outer shell where it joins at the corners of your arch demonstrate this; one is hot and expanding, while the other is much cooler. You'll have to put up with the cracks in that position.
                      Almost exactly word for word what David said 9 years ago...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Knipsel.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	452150
                      My 70cm (28") build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...losure-belgium

Comment

• Yep. Probably used a paraphrasing tool software. Spamming and phishing gets more sophisticated every day.
                        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

• Originally posted by Kris S View Post

Almost exactly word for word what David said 9 years ago...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Knipsel.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	452150
                          Yes, I don’t think that post would pass a plagiarism test.

Comment

Working...
                          X